Fail to ping using terminal
Just set up a RHEL4 on a Sun V20z and hit a small issue. When try to ping web site (Google etc), there is no response coming back.
This is the first time I setup a Linux box within an organization network, and am unsure whether config files are correctly set.
A little info of the network environment.
(1) A network switch, 18.104.22.168
(2) A proxy, use this to connect to Internet, 22.214.171.124:8080
(3) Eth0 is up, 126.96.36.199 as static IP, default gateway IP, class subnet mask, are set
(4) Browser points to proxy, Google page shown up, but failed pinging it via terminal.
Have been using Linux for a few years but not familiar with networking stuff (DNS config etc). My first guess to the issue would be domain name could not be resolved. Result of Googling leads me to think...
(1) What to do with /etc/resolv.conf?
(2) Terminal does not work with proxy?
(3) Something to do with DNS?
Please advice. Thanks.