Thanks for your help there
Ok - after trawling google I was able to identify my eth0 card with 'cat /proc/pci'
as an Ethernet Pro 100.
Further searching indicated that I needed the eepro100 module which was able to modprobe in with no trouble.
Knowing that this was what I needed it and that this is the same situation as I had with my prior problems I found that my system had created a backup of the /etc/modules.conf file called 'modules.conf~'
This second file was very small compared to the one for the new Kernel but had the alias commands I needed so I simply added these few lines to the new Modules file.
Things appear to be sorted ....
Thanks for your help