LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Networking (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/)
-   -   Dynamic DNS with static IP configuration (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/dynamic-dns-with-static-ip-configuration-508574/)

nsvora 12-08-2006 10:14 AM

Dynamic DNS with static IP configuration
 
Hi All,
I have a LINUX client computer having static IP configuration ( without DHCP). And if this configuration is changed, should this information be updated in the DNS server?

In short, does Dynamic DNS make sense with static IP configuration?

Any comment in this regard is highly appreciated.

With Regards,
nsv

squisher 12-08-2006 07:43 PM

If you have a static IP, you can't have dynamic DNS - how could you?

If your IP changes, then of course the DNS should be updated. But since it is static, you'd have to do that by hand.

An alternative is to use DHCP but assign static addresses. That way you could run dynamic DNS, and you only have to edit the dhcp config then if the IP address ever changes.

nsvora 12-08-2006 11:25 PM

Thanks for the reply squisher.
I have a user interface implementation through which user can change the lan configuration i.e static IP configuration could be changed using this implementation.

In case, lan configuration is acheived via DHCP , the DHCP client implementation automatically sends updates to the DNS server.

But in case, user changes the lan configuration manually as above, should DNS server be updated using Dynamic DNS update packet ?

- nsvora

acid_kewpie 12-09-2006 03:36 PM

not sure what to add to the above really, yes you should change it, but nothing will happen automatically unless you take more advanced steps to make that so. couldn't tell you ways to automate it offhand, but assuming that you think a pc will tell a dns server it's got a certain IP out of the blue, that's not going to happen. it's the kind of thing that windows active directory domain members do in a windows world, but that's a nasty mess, and also invovles a lot of trust relationships and what not, as indeed it should, because a nominal client should never be allowed to update anythign on a server without explicit permissions.

squisher 12-10-2006 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsvora

But in case, user changes the lan configuration manually as above, should DNS server be updated using Dynamic DNS update packet ?

- nsvora

It would probably be overkill to write a program that responds to a manual change with a Dynamic DNS update packet (even though there might be something out there that you can use, I did not check). If that user interface you mention is open source / can be modified by you, then it should not be particularly hard to write a little script or so that after the user manually changes the IP address, also updates the files of the DNS server and then forces it to re-read them.

nsvora 12-10-2006 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squisher
It would probably be overkill to write a program that responds to a manual change with a Dynamic DNS update packet (even though there might be something out there that you can use, I did not check). If that user interface you mention is open source / can be modified by you, then it should not be particularly hard to write a little script or so that after the user manually changes the IP address, also updates the files of the DNS server and then forces it to re-read them.

Thanks for the reply squisher.
I could write the software for that. It should not be a problem to have software which updates the DNS server. But only thing I wanted to check is, whether it is valid to update the DNS server even if we have manually configured LAN configuration ( IP Address, Hostname )?

squisher 12-10-2006 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsvora
But only thing I wanted to check is, whether it is valid to update the DNS server even if we have manually configured LAN configuration ( IP Address, Hostname )?

Of course! Not a thing in the world wrong with that. In fact I believe that it is a very common situation. And if you can do it easy (update config files) instead of elegant but cumbersome (dynamic ip update protocol), then even better ;-)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.