Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
(sorry if its muddy; I'm still finding my way around)
I'm using DSL from SWB with a dynamic IP.
Recently I installed Redhat 7.1 telling it to use DHCP and everything went great.
However, the network connection drops every couple of hours and I can not figure out why.
I've checked messages and sometimes see a message that the lease on the address couldn't be renewed, but most of the time nothing in the log about dhcp or pump or the address lease.
When I check netstat I see address like default have disappeared.
When I check ifconfig it says everything is great (eth0 up and all)
Nameservers are in resolv.conf
If I restart the network or just bring eth0 down then up, everything is instantly OK again and not always accompanied by a change in IP.
At first I thought maybe it was somehow related to inactivity, but I used cron to do a ping every 15 minutes, and that didn't have any effect.
Other than having to cycle eth0 from time to time, it seems fine.
I think I have something screwy in my Linux setup because I tried a Mac and an NT machine and neither exhibits this behavior. (The NT machine complains frequently about difficulty renewing the lease in the log, but the connection doesn't seemt to every drop)
I'd love to where to start trying to work out this kink, any help would be greatly appreciated!
What distribution? what dhcp client are your running?
If you are running /sbin/dhcpcd then check the files in /etc/dhcpc directory.
There should be a .info file for your card, it has the renewall and lease times. With that, you should be able to figure about when your lease expires. If it coincides with the outage then you are having issues renewing your lease.
Run dhcpcd with the -d option for extra debugging to syslog. Then you can grep your /var/log/messages file for dhcpcd complaints.
I had the exact same issue in Ubuntu. My connection does not seem to drop after I wrote a small code to call a specific website and download the html content of the index page. This code is called in cron every 5 minutes.
For some reason, just pinging does not seem to work for me. But making a http call and getting something back seems to work for me.
This solution is hackish. There must be a more elegant solution involving some driver update or some tricky configuration. But until I find that - this stop gap works great for me.