Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I don't know if the title is a correct description of the problem I have. I registered a domain name in godaddy, created a subdomain name and pointed it to some name servers. After some time, I moved my website so I change the name servers of this subdomain name. But the problem now is it is still pointing to the old name servers. Everytime I visit the website in my computer, I get errors. But I try it in another computer, I works. So I suspect there is something left in my computer that still tells my browser to go for the old name server. I've cleared cache and temporary files of this browser but it still does not change. How can I do with it? Thanks.
The name servers for the domain should be the same as for the subdomain. You just point the subdomain to an ip address using an A record in the DNS zone on the nameservers.
The first thing that DNS does is to look up the tld (top level domain), then it looks up the domain within that tld, then it looks up the subdomain (host) using the domains own zone records.
So they should all be in the same place.
That may or may not be the cause of the problem, but you should fix that first. I expect it has been done correctly in the first place, but then you changed the subdomain ns but not the main domains ns.
Yes, I think I change that. Now I don't have other NS records for subdomains. The domain and subdomains are all using the same DNS. What surprises me is that I can visit this subdomain in one computer that I have not used for a while, but fail in another computer I use recently (both before and after I change the DNS records). So I wonder if it has something to do with my computer, even though I clear all the browsing cache and temporary files.