Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Try using that. I cleaned it up a little for you and changed some stuff around. Basically, anything that will affect your range of DHCP addresses, I wouldn't put in the "global" config area. Just for in case you ever end up with multiple subnets you're serving addresses to. For example, your ddns-rev-domainname, since it uses the 10.10.0.0/24 net is really only pertinent in the 10.10.0.0 range. Ya know?
ARC, I appreciate all your help. I did something and updates are now going through but incorrectly..... LOL
so then I made your changes and it's not even trying to perform updates anymore.....somewhere in the middle is the winner....I'm almost there
Ok so....updating incorrectly..... What the dhcp server is doing is updating the DNS record with host1.test.com.test.com The other half of the problem (reverse lookup updates) is similar. it's adding 22.214.171.124.0.10.10.in-addr.arpa....hehehe a few too many
Not sure whats causing that yet....workin on it.
Oh and when I have this all working I'm going to setup additional servers for failover dns&dhcp...FUN.
I should be an expert on Bind/dhcpd again by the time I'm done lol
I removed the ddns-rev first and tested....The proper IP was updated correctly but the host was still host1.test.com.test.com
then I removed option domain-name and the result was the same as above.
so then I removed ddns-domain (I put that in for testing) and put option domain-name back in and the result was the same as above.
then I removed both ddns/option domain-name and The records all get deleted...
I saw some people using some scripting in their dhcpd.conf's to alter the hostnames sent to DNS. I wonder If I'll need to do that to strip off test.com. Sounds kinda hokey though, shouldn't need to do that.
Well, I had this problem before, and I think it might have been because I statically set the dns extension on my Linux boxes. The main thing is, you now have DHCP updating DNS. So you have to make sure that the hosts aren't sending DHCP back the improper name. I believe you have to run dhcpcd on the client with the -H option or something.
Ya, I'm looking into that....Both hosts were initially setup with a hostname that contained the FQDN.
I figured that could have been the problem so I changed them to just the hostname.
Now that you mention it though, no dhcpcd on these dhclient instead....I checked the dhclient-eth0.conf file and it lists send host-name "host1.test.com"; #temporary RHL ifup addition
editing the file is a no-go, it gets recreated by ifup everytime, I need to find out where ifup is getting it from.
I looked through ifup-eth0 to see how it was getting the hostname....Duh from ifcfg-eth0....DHCP_HOSTNAME=host1.test.com
I took out the domain name and voila...It's updating properly now. Another trivial fix lol
Thanks for all your help man, your inputs kept pushing me in the right directions
by the way....that config you posted works just fine with the ddns-rev.....ddns update doesn't need to be in the subnet, don't know what I was thinking earlier.
Funny you should say that...I wonder if linux dhcp can update a MS DNS server. I know someone is going to ask me that sooner or later. We have a single MS dns server and a single MS dhcp server here for almost 3,000 nodes total including a 2,000 node redhat cluster, and active directory. One day last week the dhcp server died and it wasn't pretty lol. So me being one of the linux/unix dudes here was tasked to setup a test env for dns/dhcp failover for an internal subnet to service just the linux cluster/servers/desktops so we wouldn't at least lose our side of the house. lol
That depends. MS DNS, when in active directory, requires authentication keys to be updated. That's why I set my primary DNS machine to Linux, but secondaries to MS. The MS DNS servers will happily update Linux all day long no problem, and MS DHCP will update Linux DNS all day with no problem.
Now, an MS DNS outside of AD, I think can be updated by Linux. As I stated though, BIND for primary, MS for secondary for me. BIND runs views, MS's DNS doesn't, so you can seclude off parts of BIND if you need to and make it run double duty.