LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
mohammad-v
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Angry creat a pppoe connection in Open suse 11.4


Hi
I want to create a broadband connection in suse 11.4 , in the windows the connection Properly works but in suse ...

i recently installed qinternet , it runs the dsl connection , and shows this massage : " connected , connection established " , but no internet



excuse my English , plz help me
 
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Arelatensis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Russian Federation, Udmurtia
Distribution: CentOS, Aptosid, Mageia, OpenMandriva, Ubuntu
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 2
You can use network manager applet - better in Gnome (KNetwork manager, indeed, works with errors). Right click? manage connection, tab dsl (it is last), add connection, enter user name and password (for dynamical IP). For static IP under dsl there is tab IP under type, choose "manually" and enter all needed information: IP, Getaway, DNS. After this left click on applet NM appears two interfaces: Ethernet (that works now) and DSL connection-1. All operation must be done as root (may be root log in, if need connection available for all users, in all Desktop environments)


Good luck!

Last edited by Arelatensis; 06-23-2011 at 03:35 PM.
 
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
I don't know how well it all works in OpenSuse right now, but from my experience with OpenSuse all the GUI-based programs to make pppoe connections didn't work really good. In fact I was VERY much irritated with the fact, that such simple thing could not be configured with GUI-based programs. So eventually I had to disable them and configure everything manually. You can find the description of how to configure pppoe the best way in my blog.

However, I allow that OpenSuse could improve with years... obviously this is not the case. So... anyway it's good to know how to configure things manually.

Kostya

Last edited by kostya; 06-21-2011 at 09:56 PM.
 
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelatensis View Post
You can use network manager applet...
... All operation mast be done as root (may be root log in, if need connection available for all users, in all Desktop environments)
This is exactly where the problem is. Network Manager is supposed to work on a per-user basis, yet it can't since in needs root privilleges as per normal unix security basics. Normally, then, it could require root password when launched and the problem solved. But it doesn't, neither do configurations work...

Now in OpenSuse, unless I'm terribly mistaken, logging into graphical environment as user "root" is forbidden by default. Which means, this is NOT the way things are supposed to be done in OpenSuSE. Right?

Because it's meant to be done through YaST, which has a nice multitab application to configure network connection. It is there that you can also configure whether or not to use Network Manager. Yea all looks just fine; except that it doesn't work and your connection every now and then stops and starts and your Network Manager doesn't work either, even though you DID use root password to configure things the way you want... So you end up having to configure things by manually editing config files.

Another problem is that one thing has several configuration files where it can be set. For example, hostname is stored in /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/hostname. You must be on your guard to not forget any of them, or you can end up with serious network configuration problems!

...These are weaknesses shared by almost all distributions except, perhaps, Slackware, known for its simplicity and completely manual configuration of things. Yet its simplicity sometimes goes too far...

So I guess something needs be changed in all Linux distros. Some decisions must be made, a path must be chosen, basing on the understanding, that Linux IS NOT WINDOWS and WILL NEVER BE... And once directions decided, it must be made simple to understand and configure.

I know folks with scientific mind believe that things MUST be complicated. But that's just a belief; having understood how wrong it is they will come to that closest to perfection point of view, when things complicated by necessity are yet made as easy to understand and configure as possible. That's thinking about end-users.

And coming back to the topic, for END USERS it means one obvious thing: you must learn how things work and how to configure them manually from command line. There are things which will NEVER work in Linux the way they work in MS Windows, despite how developers are trying to "help" this "issue".

Last edited by kostya; 06-22-2011 at 04:44 PM.
 
Old 06-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Arelatensis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Russian Federation, Udmurtia
Distribution: CentOS, Aptosid, Mageia, OpenMandriva, Ubuntu
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
Now in OpenSuse, unless I'm terribly mistaken, logging into graphical environment as user "root" is forbidden by default. Which means, this is NOT the way things are supposed to be done in OpenSuSE. Right?
You are wrong. Even Debian allows it but through console log in. Suse directly throught graphical log in interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
Because it's meant to be done through YaST, which has a nice multitab application to configure network connection. It is there that you can also configure whether or not to use Network Manager. Yea all looks just fine; except that it doesn't work and your connection every now and then stops and starts and your Network Manager doesn't work either, even though you DID use root password to configure things the way you want... So you end up having to configure things by manually editing config files.
YaST asks you about methods Network Manager or ifup. If you choose latter, you can perform all in YaST. But in Open Suse 11.3 I have in such case problem with with several connections and switching between them

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
Another problem is that one thing has several configuration files where it can be set. For example, hostname is stored in /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/hostname. You must be on your guard to not forget any of them, or you can end up with serious network configuration problems!

...These are weaknesses shared by almost all distributions except, perhaps, Slackware, known for its simplicity and completely manual configuration of things. Yet its simplicity sometimes goes too far...

So I guess something needs be changed in all Linux distros. Some decisions must be made, a path must be chosen, basing on the understanding, that Linux IS NOT WINDOWS and WILL NEVER BE... And once directions decided, it must be made simple to understand and configure.

I know folks with scientific mind believe that things MUST be complicated. But that's just a belief; having understood how wrong it is they will come to that closest to perfection point of view, when things complicated by necessity are yet made as easy to understand and configure as possible. That's thinking about end-users.

And coming back to the topic, for END USERS it means one obvious thing: you must learn how things work and how to configure them manually from command line. There are things which will NEVER work in Linux the way they work in MS Windows, despite how developers are trying to "help" this "issue".
If the OS has full graphical interface, it is to uses first graphical instruments. If they dont't work command line, and as lat matter manual editing of configuration files. It is my conception.

P. S. As I can understand you experience now based on fedora. Thank for blog link, something similar I did perform under Fedora 14.
 
Old 06-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
mohammad-v
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
problem again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelatensis View Post
You can use network manager applet - better in Gnome (KNetwork manager, indeed, works with errors). Right click? manage connection, tab dsl (it is last), add connection, enter user name and password (for dynamical IP). For static IP under dsl there is tab IP under type, choose "manually" and enter all needed information: IP, Getaway, DNS. After this left click on applet NM appears two interfaces: Ethernet (that works now) and DSL connection-1. All operation must be done as root (may be root log in, if need connection available for all users, in all Desktop environments)
Thanks for your replay , i did every thing you told . i entered the ip, getway , DNS and i get the connected message but i don't have internet yet .

you've said :

"After this left click on applet NM appears two interfaces: Ethernet (that works now) and DSL connection-1"

but just a window opened , i attach the screen shot :
Attached Images
File Type: png snapshot11.png (8.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png snapshot12.png (33.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mohammad-v; 06-24-2011 at 05:00 PM.
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Arelatensis
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Russian Federation, Udmurtia
Distribution: CentOS, Aptosid, Mageia, OpenMandriva, Ubuntu
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 2
May it will useful. As can understand you use KDE not Gnome? This is gif-animation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg record.jpg (47.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Arelatensis; 06-27-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: I can not add a snapshoot, this is gif-animation
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
mohammad-v
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I use kde ,recently i installed gnome but nothing changed , i don't have internet yet
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
repo
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: May 2001
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Linux Mint
Posts: 8,516

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Are you using pppoe to connect, as told in by kostya in post #3?
Please post the output from
Code:
ifconfig
route -n
When you are connected.
Take a look in the logfiles for any pointers.

Kind regards
 
Old 06-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #10
Lexus45
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Kurgan, Russia
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 339
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 47
Try rp-pppoe package please.
It doesn't have a GUI interface but don't panic ;-)
It has nice commands like pppoe-setup, pppoe-start and pppoe-stop.

I believe OpenSUSE has this package in repository.

Last edited by Lexus45; 06-28-2011 at 04:26 AM.
 
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus45 View Post
Try rp-pppoe package please.
It doesn't have a GUI interface but don't panic ;-)
It has nice commands like pppoe-setup, pppoe-start and pppoe-stop.

I believe OpenSUSE has this package in repository.
Right, the scripts are the strong part of rp-pppoe. And the weaker one is that it doesn't use kernel mode PPPoE and connection is not very stable. Ever since pppoe was merged into the kernel it's been recommended to use kernel mode pppoe.

OP: and if you ARE using YaST to set up PPPoE you need to pay attention to EVERY detail in the DSL connection part of YaST, or you'll end up with something not working properly: like having a ppp connection, but not having Internet. For example, the ppp connection must be set as default route and you need to [either manually] fill in your ISP's DNS servers [or mark the option to obtain them automatically].
Absence of DNS servers is a usual cause of not having Internet access. Check your DNS setup by
Code:
sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf
.
Then, to make sure everything is OK go to
Code:
/etc/nsswitch.conf
and correct the line saying
Code:
hosts: files dns
into
Code:
hosts: dns files
This is an ancient trick but sometimes without it your DNS setup isn't working even with the right servers in /etc/resolv.conf.

Another possible cause is wrong default route.
In addition to
Code:
route -n
above you can check you routes table with a quicker one
Code:
ip route list
I find iproute2 suite to be much smarter than the ancient `route` utility.
 
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelatensis View Post
You are wrong. Even Debian allows it but through console log in. Suse directly throught graphical log in interface
Yes, you're right and I'm wrong: in SuSE I didn't have problems logging into root desktop. It was in Ubuntu Server that I encountered that problem -- perhaps, due to server security level.
...Still, they always warn you that logging in as user root into graphical environment is generally discouraged... so it shouldn't be the right way of configuring things. At that it happens quite often, that what works fine for user "root" stops working for a regular user. So it may or may not help.

Quote:
YaST asks you about methods Network Manager or ifup. If you choose latter, you can perform all in YaST. But in Open Suse 11.3 I have in such case problem with with several connections and switching between them
Well if Network Manager is doing its job OK, that's fine. Actually, I don't see why it shouldn't (except for my negative experiences when it didn't).



Quote:
If the OS has full graphical interface, it is to uses first graphical instruments. If they dont't work command line, and as lat matter manual editing of configuration files. It is my conception.
It is mine as well. So you can fully understand my indignation when these graphical interfaces can't accomplish such primitive task. Sure thing, I'd be glad to learn that things have changed.

Quote:
P. S. As I can understand you experience now based on fedora. Thank for blog link, something similar I did perform under Fedora 14.
Right now I'm using both Fedora and Ubuntu 11.04 on two different machines. And I find Debian way to be more simple, but Fedora has its advantages, too (easy configuration is not one of them). I loved OpenSuSE when I used it for some 3 years (versions 9 through 11), cause it's a nice product. Yet there were lots of complications there and I thought: since I anyway have to configure stuff manually, let's switch to Fedora as it has the latest stuff.

PS: Thanks for correcting me I'm just sharing my experience to help others and usually it took me a thorough study before I could solve my problems. But of course, I may have completely missed certain things, which things in turn could have saved me time and effort...
So what? Your Network Manager in OpenSuSE works fine and smooth without any trouble? Just loads when your desktop loads and gives you a stable connection?

Last edited by kostya; 06-28-2011 at 08:53 AM.
 
Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammad-v View Post
Thanks for your replay , i did every thing you told . i entered the ip, getway , DNS and i get the connected message but i don't have internet yet .

you've said :

"After this left click on applet NM appears two interfaces: Ethernet (that works now) and DSL connection-1"

but just a window opened , i attach the screen shot :
It seems your NM reports about the connection established via eth0, which , of course, doesn't give you Internet access. You can then click "Manage Connections" item at the bottom and go to the DSL tab to enable it, too. Or at least to see what it says there.
 
Old 07-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
mohammad-v
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi , sorry for delay
Quote:
Are you using pppoe to connect, as told in by kostya in post #3?
Please post the output from
Code:
ifconfig
route -n
When you are connected.
Take a look in the logfiles for any pointers.

Kind regards
__________________
Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done

Registered Linux User #145333
If you use bittorrent please seed the official linux releases.
result :


eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:E6:BA7:C3:46
inet addr:192.168.1.28 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::92e6:baff:fed7:c346/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:124 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:10644 (10.3 Kb) TX bytes:6157 (6.0 Kb)
Interrupt:40 Base address:0xa000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:128 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:128 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:10743 (10.4 Kb) TX bytes:10743 (10.4 Kb)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
It seems your NM reports about the connection established via eth0, which , of course, doesn't give you Internet access. You can then click "Manage Connections" item at the bottom and go to the DSL tab to enable it, too. Or at least to see what it says there.
Quote:
Try rp-pppoe package please.
It doesn't have a GUI interface but don't panic ;-)
It has nice commands like pppoe-setup, pppoe-start and pppoe-stop.
problem is exactly here , i don't know how can i get rid of 'eth0' . tnx for your replies
 
Old 07-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Yea, but you forgot to tell us what you have tried and with what result .
Did you try to go to the "Manage Connections" item and enable the DSL configuration there?
Did you try it from the "root" user login?...

Try these, and then we'll see if NM is going to work for you (as it does for #Arelatensis as per his post) or if it will be the piece of junk it's proved for me. In latter case you'll have to disable it and try manual configuration following my suggestions (as one possible way).

PS:...Oh yea, forgot to tell you: qinternet utility didn't work for me either. In fact, my guide on manual pppoe configuration was written partly out of frustration with every Linux program meant to establish a good pppoe connection, and partly as a reminder for my own self in case I should have to configure pppoe on some machine in the future. Read it, it's all pretty simple! Just a couple of configuration files.

Last edited by kostya; 07-08-2011 at 03:02 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suse 10.1 Yast Does not creat URL for local directory as installation source TigerLinux Suse/Novell 19 02-26-2007 12:05 PM
How to set up a PPPoE connection under SuSE Linux 10.1 shadow_rr Suse/Novell 1 11-22-2006 12:18 PM
Unique PPPoE Connection/Problem SUSE 9.0 foxtrot Linux - Networking 2 10-10-2005 06:44 AM
How to creat a dial up connection (at Home) in RedHat Linux 9 pasindu Linux - General 4 08-20-2004 12:10 AM
vpnclient issues with pppoe dsl connection in suse 8.1 mielke Linux - Networking 0 02-28-2003 06:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration