LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Networking (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/)
-   -   Change MAC address BCM4313 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/change-mac-address-bcm4313-849639/)

alansouza 12-11-2010 10:16 AM

Change MAC address BCM4313
 
I purchased a Dell Notebook n4030, that came with the wireless adapter from Broadcom BCM4313. It's been a while since I've been battling with the Broadcom driver to make it work perfectly.
I did it!
But some servers I work with wireless in my town and I need to always be changing the MAC Address of my wireless adapter. Whenever I make the change, which is in the Linux distribution is already using it, when I enter the command:

ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

Come to me the message:

SIOCSIFHWADDR: Too Many Open Files In System

Then I give an UP interface, but after that the adapter does not get the IP address of the network.

What could this be?

koszta5 12-12-2010 04:19 PM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1462487

alansouza 12-13-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koszta5 (Post 4189063)

I look at the page you gave me.

I also ran the command "ulimit" and returned me "unlimited"!

I'm also thinking that this problem is the Broadcom driver!

Any solution?

Know any USB wireless adapter that supports Mac Spoofing do?

Hangdog42 12-13-2010 11:45 AM

Can I ask why you need to do MAC spoofing at all?

koszta5 12-13-2010 12:57 PM

compile :)
 
Hey, it doesnt matter why he needs it (e.g. some providers have a static outside IP bound to a MAC) but anway.. as i said try to find the broadcom driver and compile it yourself

Hangdog42 12-13-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koszta5
Hey, it doesnt matter why he needs it (e.g. some providers have a static outside IP bound to a MAC) but anway

Sure it matters. If the provider is binding an IP address to a MAC, the proper way to solve this is to update the MAC in their database.

koszta5 12-14-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hangdog42 (Post 4190145)
Sure it matters. If the provider is binding an IP address to a MAC, the proper way to solve this is to update the MAC in their database.

Haha maybe at your place... My provider just says change your Mac .. I know it is a really stupid system but what can you do about it... Besides you cant usually do too much damage with Mac spoofing (might affect your LAN but thats it)

alansouza 12-14-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hangdog42 (Post 4189977)
Can I ask why you need to do MAC spoofing at all?

I work provide security services to enterprises and one of the most widely used tests is to get access through hotspot Mikrotik is the technique of MAC Spoofing.

alansouza 12-14-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koszta5 (Post 4190041)
Hey, it doesnt matter why he needs it (e.g. some providers have a static outside IP bound to a MAC) but anway.. as i said try to find the broadcom driver and compile it yourself

I downloaded directly from Broadcom's site and installed it on Slackware and nothing! Always returns me that message saying "have many open files"!

alansouza 12-14-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hangdog42 (Post 4190145)
Sure it matters. If the provider is binding an IP address to a MAC, the proper way to solve this is to update the MAC in their database.

And when you're hired to do a test service for safety?

alansouza 12-14-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koszta5 (Post 4191153)
Haha maybe at your place... My provider just says change your Mac .. I know it is a really stupid system but what can you do about it... Besides you cant usually do too much damage with Mac spoofing (might affect your LAN but thats it)

Have Internet access providers who are anyway! Here in Brazil is one that registers its MAC and it was that you have to give way to change to be connected via another computer if one day need to change computers.

alansouza 12-14-2010 11:06 AM

Guys I'm looking for a solution a hardware that not performs a specific function.
I am seeking a solution to this problem and want to resolve it with you.

Hangdog42 12-14-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alansouza (Post 4191207)
And when you're hired to do a test service for safety?


That is a different situation you didn't see fit to mention until I asked you about it.

alansouza 12-14-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hangdog42 (Post 4191260)
That is a different situation you didn't see fit to mention until I asked you about it.

I do not need MAC Spoofing on everything. But there are situations where comes the need to make use of the technique.

PS: Your site is getting very good with its contents!

alansouza 12-16-2010 07:57 PM

No solution? I sent a message to Broadcom, but I think they will not answer me. LOL


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.