Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I'm having problems with browsing with Samba not always working reliably on my Mandrake 9.1 PC. I can typically browse my local SMB network okayish, and see my Linux PC (it also runs SAMBA server), and other Windows PC on my LAN, but frequently when looking for shared directories in these PCs (I use Konqueror by the way) it frequently hangs, or shows no shared directories when I know there are shared direcories / files. Other times I can find directories / files, but I have not thus far been able to copy / load a file of any significant size (over 5k).
I have also had problems sharing SMB printers. Having put in the parameters, I try printing a test page, it gets to about 6% and then says that it has lost the connection.
Looking at a Samba troubleshooting guide it first suggested checking the unerlying network settings, firstly ensuring that you can ping other PCs on the LAN. When I tried this I found I could not. I can connect to the internet, ping external addresses such as google, but for internal addresses I get unknown host error.
My network uses DHCP (served by a windows 2K PC, which also acts as the router into the internet), and so I cannot add IPs and hostnames to my hosts file, as the IP addresses wil change. (won't they!!?!)
So my two questions are,
how do I configure my LAN connectoin in Linux so I can resolve dynamic DHCP assigned IPs?
is this likely to the cause of my problem with SAMBA / CUPS SMB printing?
Any ideas would be appreciated - this one's driving my nuts!
Sorry, having just read through my post, by way of clarification, I can ping computers on my LAN by IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.1 - my router win2k pc), but not by name (e.g. PC1 - the name of my router win2k pc)
Hi, your router should be able to allow "address reservation" which means even though it is DHCP you can associate (hard-code) Ip addresses with MAC addresses. This will allow you name resolution. HOWEVER, from what you seem to be describing, name resolution might not be your problem. Can you browse your samba shares using IP addresses without problems? Or...?
My router is currently a windows 2000 PC with an ADSL modem attached - I guess this isn't the forum for asking how to fix DHCP IP addresses on Microsoft products!!
Have jusr re-installed Samba and changed the basics in the smb.conf configuration file (Netbios name, Workgroup, allowed browsing on home directories). Have also rebooted my win2k router / PC.
In Konqueror I can now see the workgroup, see both PCs in the workgroup (Linux1, and PC1 (my windows PC). Double clicking on PC1 shows my shared directory (no access restriction set) either gives no files, or on clicking refresh makes konqueror "hang" - the rotating cog logo in the top right corner has now been spinning for ten minutes, meaning I guess that it has not completed the transaction.
Have tried the same using IP addresses instead of names as you suggested, and you're right - it makes no difference, so I guess the name resolving is not the problem.