Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
SDN 101: An Introduction to Software Defined Networking
Discover the advantages of SDN.
SDN has quickly become one of the hottest trends in IT. But not all SDN solutions offer real software-defined functionality. As more enterprises consider SDN, they want to know, “What is SDN? And what are the real benefits?” If you're ready to explore the advantages of SDN, and want to know how it should be implemented within your enterprise, start by reading our introductory white paper.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
An Ubuntu box connects to the Internet through ADSL (pppoe) and acts as a router for a small LAN. Between the router and the other machines there's an access point for wireless connection. Nearly everything works fine, except for the fact I cannot reach some sites from the internal network. I can browse the same sites from the Ubuntu box, but not from the others that are behind it. And, again, only a small list of sites is unreachable.
I tried keeping it as simple as possible, setting the ip forwarding to 1, flushing all of the iptables chains with
Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that.
Kernel 22.214.171.124, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu
That is just odd. If the iptables is flushed and simply masquerade setup then I am at a lost. The IP the site is using was not part of the non-used ones. There use to be a group of ips reserved not for use and one can add those to the iptables to block them in the event they were used in packet hacking.
Site comes up fine through my linux router which then goes through a wireless store bought router to get to my notebook.
I am guessing every lan machine cannot connect?
I would contact the manufactor of the wireless router. Check the faqs and docs on their site.
Yes, every machine but the gateway (the Ubuntu one). It actually seems a gateway's problem, because it comes out even through the wired network. I will try a live distro to see if it's a hardware failure.
Ok, I solved it.
I first thought about an MTU problem: pppoeconf sets it to 1492 for the ppp0 interface, due to the package size most ISPs adopt. So I set the MTU to 1492 for every interface, instead of the default 1500, but with no result.
What actually did the trick was installing ipmasq. It does all the dirty work of ip forwarding and masquerading.
What I still don't understand is why even a fresh Debian install needs ipmasq to properly forward, expecially if I think that everything worked fine before I opened this post...