Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Help! I am new to Linux, but I've spent weeks now trying to solve my problem without bothering anyone. I've read through "Running Linux" and "Learning RedHat Linux" from O'Reilly, and I've dug through How-To's, FAQ's, and Forums so much I'm almost blind!
I'm using RedHat 7.2, and trying to set up DSL internet access. Although I can now ping domains or IP's, i can't access the same sites through a browser, using their domains or IP's. I can access web sites on another computer on the same network, but nothing past the gateway.
Oddly enough, this isn't loaded automatically upon bootup. I've had to more or less execute "ifconfig eth0..." and "route add" commands every time. If you need any other info, please let me know. I really appreciate any help.
No, I'm not using a proxy server (that I know of).
I've had a chance to do more testing, and it's not a browser-specific problem. I can't telnet or ftp to outside sites, either. I'm completely baffled, because I CAN ping to outside sites, using their domains or their IP's. So something is getting through.
In fact, the hub and router lights are blinking when the browser (or other software) tries to access other sites, but it's as if the software (browser, telnet, ftp, etc) never gets a response from the server. Almost as if those servers were down, but of course that's not the case because I can access them through my Win2K box.
Well if FTP or TELNET to any sites is not working then check ot see that you allow the services (man services) from your machine. Another thing that might cause a ping to work but not an http request would be the MTU setting. Try to increase the size of your ping (man ping) and see if it time out at a certain size. The check ifconfig and see the size of you packets. If you ping times out at a lower MTU that set in ifconfig then change you MTU size (man ifconfig).
Well, friends, I thank you all for your suggestions. I meticulously tried each one, and although none of them solved my problem, they were very helpful in my Linux education! But now, the moment of truth: I've solved my problem! I thought I should post the solution so that no one else would feel the need to offer new suggestions, to thank those who did, and to let everyone know about another place where things can go wrong.
After I was assigned a new IP block from my ISP, I used the first in the series for my Win32 box, and the second for my Linux system. After trying every conceivable solution, out of desperation I decided to swap IP addresses on the two systems. Lo and behold, Linux was able to access the internet, but Win32 wasn't!
It turns out that my ISP gave me a faulty block of IP's that were, evidently, partially in use by another customer. What's worse, after calling them just this morning, they gave me another IP block with the same problem! The third set didn't work at all, and finally the fourth set seems to be working fine. The moral: never underestimate the screw-ups of others.