Linux - NetworkingThis forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I've got an odd problem. I successfully set up my Thinkpad A21p's 3Com "Hurricane" ethernet card, using a patched 3c59x.o module, and using dhcp. Everything was working fine. Now, all of a sudden, things are just not working right at all.
When I boot or do an /etc/init.d/network restart, it tries to bring up eth0, and I get the message
Bringing up interface eth0: Determining IP information for eth0...Operation failed. [FAILED]
If I do a pump -i eth0, I get Operation Failed.
I am not aware of changing anything between when it worked and now. I have confirmed that the card is ok, because I can boot to Win2k, and the card works fine there.
I found the problem. It turns out that this is due to a combination of factors:
1) Having win2k & linux dual booted on the same box
2) Needing to use a specific hardware address to get on the network
What was happening is that in order to get on the network, I had to overwrite the MAC addressed used for the card in linux in order to get access to the network on my connection. I can't do this for win2k, so I can only access the network through linux. That's fine.
Problem is, if I boot to win2k, win2k sees the network, tries to connect, can't, and then disables the card. Until I power the unit off completely, that card is disabled and linux can't re-enable it.
So, what I need to do is remove the cable from the card whenever I boot into win2k, and reattach it when booting into linux... or else completely power down the system before going into linux.
I'm getting the MAC address on the connection reassigned to this card, so I won't have to put up with this for long.