Yes, i did reboot the modem, several times actually. Im not using a router, the linux box is my router basically. I figured out what the problem was but it doesnt make much sense. In redhat 7.2 and all versions before that the first network card(eth0) want connected to the cable modem. The second network card(eth1) was connected to a switch on my internal network. With redhat 7.3 and up for some reason it decided it wanted to address my nic's backwards. Thus eth1 is now on the cable modem and eth0 is now on the network. I dont know why or understand why this all of a sudden decided to happen but thats what it was. The to nic's im using btw are a Kingston 10/100(was eth0, now addressed as eth1) and an intel eepro 10/100(was eth1 nos addressed as eth0). just so you'll know in case you happen to run in to this problem.