BIND doesn't resolve hostnames information for which is stored on other DNS servers
I've been trying to solve the following issue for the past week but I've been unable to:
I have set a DNS server on my home network server to resolve hostnames. Internet resolving works fine, as does resolving hostnames for my domain, gdnet.awmn
I also participate in a community wireless metropolitan network (AWMN) which also uses DNS extensively. Thus, I set up BIND to request DNS info from the master servers. I added a slave section in named.conf and zone transfer works fine. However not all info is included in the zone file that end up on my HD. It includes info on which name servers are authoritative for some subdomains, and my server is expected to query them should a request be made. However this doesn't work for some reason:
I suppose this is what I should get:
I agree, it looks like you have the proper delegation records
(NS) in the awmn zone. Your "dig winner.awmn" query seems to
Is recursion enabled on the DNS server you are querying?
Also, try: dig +trace winner.awmn
This should point out where recursion is broke.
I know this may seem a little silly, but you have done the following restarted bind, set resolv.conf to use the local nameserver, set any other pc's on the domain to use the nameserver ?
Thanks for replying...
Recursive queries are enabled on my server. I have both the allow-recursion and recursion options enabled in named.conf...
Yes I have restarted named, resolv.conf is fine and I have even flushed the DNS cache to no avail...
However the output of +trace seems really weird:
For some reason the ROOT servers are involved, which I can provide no explanation for:
Sorry, misread your origional message (mostly due to others using the wrong terminoligy.
Not to mention you've not exactly specified what I think you're now meaning.
is gdnet.awmn a hostname or sub-domain.
From the above I assumed it was a hostname (fqdn, I didn't scroll down on the named.conf)
From what you've said (and re-reading what you posted) it sounds like you're talking about a subdomain
in that case you need to add something like the following to the zone file for awmn
gdnet IN A 10.2.24.30
IN NS ns0.bliz.ns.awmn.
IN NS gdnet
You don't need the A record (it's there for glue record purposes). I'm not completely sure but it's probably best if you avoid the glue record issues and set the FQDN gdnet.awmn from within the gdnet.awmn zonebut that's a little beyond what we need (and may not be needed at all).
You're really asking about DNS subdomains.
I had to include 127.0.0.1 in the allow-recursion directive...
However another error has emerged... When forwarding is enabled (through the forwarders directive) my named won't work as a secondary server for the awmn zone... Anyway this is not as urgent as the previous problem since I now can virtually resolve any hostname to its IP, the only problem being I can't take advantage of my ISP's dns cache for faster lookups on the internet... (yes forward first is used, not forward only)
here's my new named.conf:
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.|