LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
salmonix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: 0
2 routes to 2 WANs - separate applications how?


Hi there,
I am seeking a solution to the following scenario:

PC box - 4 NICs.
eth0 -> DHCP -> connected to the NET directly (via modem)
wlan0 -> static/192.168.5.10 -> routed also to access NET.
rest of the nics are managing LAN

Default gw is eth0.

Now, I would like to force some applications to use wlan0 exclusively and not doing any traffic via eth0.
Or with other words: any application that is listening on wlan0 should reach the net via the gw of 192.168.5.0 network (that is 192.168.5.1), the rest should go via eth0.

Is there any solution at all?

Thanx!
 
Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
never say never
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Distribution: SLES, SLED, OpenSuse, CentOS, ubuntu 10.10, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: 37
Sounds like a router to me.

Might Check out PFSense
It is based on Free BSD and has many, MANY options.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
salmonix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by never say never View Post
Sounds like a router to me.

Might Check out PFSense
It is based on Free BSD and has many, MANY options.
Yes it is a routing problem that I should work around using linux if possible. Thanx for calling my attention to pfSense, anyway!
 
Old 12-02-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
zhjim
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: Debian Squeeze x86_64
Posts: 1,436
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonix View Post
Hi there,
I am seeking a solution to the following scenario:

PC box - 4 NICs.
eth0 -> DHCP -> connected to the NET directly (via modem)
wlan0 -> static/192.168.5.10 -> routed also to access NET.
rest of the nics are managing LAN

Default gw is eth0.

Now, I would like to force some applications to use wlan0 exclusively and not doing any traffic via eth0.
Or with other words: any application that is listening on wlan0 should reach the net via the gw of 192.168.5.0 network (that is 192.168.5.1), the rest should go via eth0.

Is there any solution at all?

Thanx!
check out the http://lartc.org/. They way that could be done is to mark certain packets depending on port (application) and then have them routed through the desired out interface. There also is a similar setup inside the latc manual.

Progs involved would be
iptables - to mark package
ip rule - to route package through certain device

Maybe this also can be done through some fancy rewrites with iptables. But I can't come up with one
 
Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
salmonix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 21

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhjim View Post
check out the http://lartc.org/. They way that could be done is to mark certain packets depending on port (application) and then have them routed through the desired out interface. There also is a similar setup inside the latc manual.

Progs involved would be
iptables - to mark package
ip rule - to route package through certain device

Maybe this also can be done through some fancy rewrites with iptables. But I can't come up with one
Yes, I have ended up with Advancer Routing topic (AdvRouting Howto for start), and some mangling ip tables thingy. I hope I'll settle it...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Names Pipes... or how to get two separate applications to interact LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-29-2009 05:00 AM
LXer: Untangle 6.2 now available: supports Multiple WANs LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-09-2009 10:00 AM
If all applications came in their separate self-contained packages chessonly General 10 05-20-2009 10:27 PM
Static routes using routes/ifroutes-eth-id.. files and default gateway disabled TimtheEagle Linux - Networking 0 05-31-2008 07:08 PM
Multiple Wans - Auto Config coolhand1977 Linux - Wireless Networking 0 11-10-2004 04:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration