This is way late reply I know but you can also just:
1) Download and burn an iso of a Windows CD from Microsofts Website.
2) Boot off the CD.
3) Press Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt when it asks you what keyboard layout and language etc.
4) Type regedit and press Enter to open regedit.
5) Select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key and click File->Load Hive
6) Browse to the Windows folder of target, then into system32, then into config
7) In there is the SOFTWARE (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software), SYSTEM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System), SAM, DEFAULT, SECURITY files. Open the one you need.
8) Give it a temporary name, ie "temp_software"
9) Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and you should see "temp_software" there.
10) Do you viewing/editing
11) After that make sure you select the "temp_software" hive and click File->Unload Hive.
Hope that helps anyone.