LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux Mint (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mint-84/)
-   -   No software Manager (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mint-84/no-software-manager-4175443846/)

bscho 01-02-2013 02:09 PM

No software Manager
 
I have just loaded Mint 13 KDE3. I have a notebook HP635.

The Software Manager does not work. As user or, as root.

The ikon just bounces and nothing is displayed. I have loaded LAMP
which work fine. I need to use Quanta. Can someone help on fixing the problem
or, at least help me install Quanta from the terminal?

Can I get to the software manager from a terminal?

corp769 01-02-2013 03:25 PM

Linux mint uses apt-get; Have you tried running apt-get from the command line and seeing what happens? Please do, and report back with any warnings, errors, output, etc if you can, thanks!

bscho 01-02-2013 03:38 PM

Software Manager
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by corp769 (Post 4861526)
Linux mint uses apt-get; Have you tried running apt-get from the command line and seeing what happens? Please do, and report back with any warnings, errors, output, etc if you can, thanks!

The terminal command gives 15 commands and 12 Options I will go through these and let you know. There are no errors.

Thanks for your help.

corp769 01-02-2013 05:16 PM

Err, I meant actually do something with apt-get :P

Try doing the following as root:
Code:

apt-get update

xenopeek 01-03-2013 05:37 AM

Not sure as to the cause, but I agree it would be a good idea to try upgrading so as to make sure you are running the latest available version of Software Manager. You can do so easily from the terminal with the following command (you can copy text to the terminal, see its Edit menu).
Code:

apt update && apt upgrade
The command will ask for your password, so note that on the terminal you get no feedback when typing your password (no characters appear, and neither does the cursor move).

273 01-03-2013 06:11 AM

I may be wrong but I think the command required for Mint would be:
Code:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Otherwise the second apt-get would fail.
I'm intrigued as to how you use the software manager "as user or as root"?

bscho 01-03-2013 01:23 PM

Software Manager
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 4861936)
I may be wrong but I think the command required for Mint would be:
Code:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Otherwise the second apt-get would fail.
I'm intrigued as to how you use the software manager "as user or as root"?

I log in as root, or login as a user. I will try what you have suggested.

xenopeek 01-03-2013 01:25 PM

apt is a Linux Mint tool, depending on which command you give it may invoke apt-get, aptitude or dpkg. And it does so with sudo automatically. "apt update && apt upgrade" is shorthand for "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" ;)

bscho 01-03-2013 01:39 PM

software manager
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bscho (Post 4862243)
I log in as root, or login as a user. I will try what you have suggested.

I have used the code suggested it updates OK. Maybe you mean use the apt-get to look for Quanta? The star for software manager still does not work it bounces for a short time and then stops. Thanks for your help anyway.

Lennie 01-03-2013 01:42 PM

When a program doesn't start it is a good idea to start it from the terminal to see what error it gives. To find out what command is used to launch the program:
Code:

cd /usr/share/applications
ls | grep software
cat <name of software-manager.desktop>

Look for the line starting with 'Exec=' and copy the rest of that line to the terminal. Post the output here.

bscho 01-03-2013 02:00 PM

software manager
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lennie (Post 4862257)
When a program doesn't start it is a good idea to start it from the terminal to see what error it gives. To find out what command is used to launch the program:
Code:

cd /usr/share/applications
ls | grep software
cat <name of software-manager.desktop>

Look for the line starting with 'Exec=' and copy the rest of that line to the terminal. Post the output here.

I do not know the name of the software manager is. I tried what you suggested and
got syntex error near unexpected token "newline"

273 01-03-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bscho (Post 4862243)
I log in as root, or login as a user. I will try what you have suggested.

I wasn't aware that Mint enabled the root account, never mind allowing it to log into an X session.
The "sudo" I posted is required when running apt as a "normal" account.
How much have you modified your install?

Lennie 01-03-2013 02:44 PM

The first two commands you can just copy-paste (ctrl + shift + v to paste in terminal)
Code:

cd /usr/share/applications
ls | grep software

The third command depends on the output of the second command. You will get the name of one or more file(s). The command should be like:
Code:

cat filename

bscho 01-03-2013 02:50 PM

root on Mint
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 4862289)
I wasn't aware that Mint enabled the root account, never mind allowing it to log into an X session.
The "sudo" I posted is required when running apt as a "normal" account.
How much have you modified your install?

You enter root by entering root at the password prompt. I have not modified anything. You then do not need sudo on the command line.

273 01-03-2013 02:57 PM

So you followed something like the following then?
http://www.ehow.com/how_10044870_root-linux-mint.html
I don't mean to label the point but it seems you modified your system from the default, and that may have a bearing on the problems you are having.
Apologies if Mint has changed the policy on root login.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.