LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
monkeyman2000
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 68

Rep: Reputation: 15
want to buy new laptop - will linux work


Hi,

I want to buy an new laptop, and I want it to run linux. But it's difficult to know if linux will work on it. If anyone can share their wisdom or experience in this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

The laptop I am considering is the HP Pavilion dv7-1130us.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834147792

I'm not totally committed to this model. I just need a decent laptop with a 17" screen for about $800 where the hardware works with linux.

I checked various hardware compatibility lists and this model isn't there. But those lists seem to only have really OLD laptops listed.

Can anyone confirm that this model laptop will work with linux--or will there be problems? Or if someone has a comparable laptop that they can confirm works with linux, please let me know.

To be a little specific about my concerns--will the laptop's wifi work with linux? I have had problems with wifi and linux in the past. Sometimes wifi did not work, or it did not have channel scanning capabilities.

Will the power management of the laptop work? I have also had problems with ACPI in the past.

Will the webcam work OK with linux?

Any advice or info appreciated.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
watcher69b
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: /home/watcher69b
Distribution: RH, Fedora & CentOS
Posts: 539

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
I want to buy an new laptop, and I want it to run Linux.
the hardware supported is dependant on your distribution. CentOS, RHEL etc are more geared towards servers. Fedora, Slack, OpenSuse, debian, are geared towards desktops/laptops.

I’m a Fedora guy myself...


Quote:
To be a little specific about my concerns--will the laptop's wifi work with linux? I have had problems with wifi and Linux in the past. Sometimes wifi did not work, or it did not have channel scanning capabilities.
I have found Broadcom to be very poor with Linux, spend the extra $25 to get a nice Intel wireless embedded in your system, it will work great with out any headaches.


In the past Dell, and HP have been good with Fedora & Suse Linux

Last edited by watcher69b; 02-03-2009 at 02:14 PM.
 
Old 02-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
farslayer
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,228
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 189Reputation: 189
Well I would say any of THESE HP LAPTOPS should work fine with any distro of Linux.

but no I'm not finding anything for the one you listed.


the Conpaq 6830s was listed on HP's Linux page..
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...gtCjCVRqCjCVRq

Core 2 Duo instead of Turion..

What exactly is a turion anyway ? the lowend AMD CPU kinda like a Celeron ?
I think I'd rather have the decent CPU and less RAM..


Yes it has 2GB of RAM instead of 4 but for the price difference you can add 2 GB back in..
 
Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
monkeyman2000
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 68

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanks farslayer

Thanks, farslayer! The HP Compaq 6830s does look like a better choice. Think I will buy it as you suggest... and it looks like Tigerdirect has an excellent deal.

Thanks for sharing you wisdom!
 
Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
amyt3
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
you can also consider buying from a Linux specialist like LinuxCertified - at least you would know that all components are Linux compatible.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
monkeyman2000
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 68

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
my new laptop

Hello, just wanted to update what happened with me. I did buy the HP Compaq 6830 from Tiger Direct as farslayer suggested. I am VERY satisfied with this decision. Its an excellent laptop, perfect for my needs at a great price...and Tiger got it to me 3 days after I placed the order, for only $3 shipping!

I was amazed at how well Kubuntu works on the new machine, and how easy it was to install. I just popped in the DVD, it did most of the work, even helping me shrink the Windows Vista partition (more than Vista was able to shrink itself!). Then I just followed the instructions on the http://linlap.com wiki. Easy.

What is amazing is that it actually took significantly less time to install Kubuntu 8.10 than it did to install Windows Vista... even though Vista was already ON THE LAPTOP, it still needed various installation stuff to be done, had to be rebooted several times, which took forever.

Everything works great -- sound, video, wifi (the laptop has the Intel as watcher69b suggested, it works great), power management, etc.

Thanks to farslayer and everyone else who provided help...and to linuxquestions.org for providing this forum.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
General rule of thumb w/ Linux and wifi...

1. Intel - Works out of the box almost always
2. Atheros - Works out of the box quite often, and if it doesn't, madwifi is usually helpful getting it going..
3. Broadcom - Pain, but w/ Ubuntu, has gotten easier with recent releases
4. Realtek - Pain, no other way around it.

Glad you found a laptop that meets your needs..

IGF
 
Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
farslayer
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,228
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 189Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman2000 View Post
Hello, just wanted to update what happened with me. I did buy the HP Compaq 6830 from Tiger Direct as farslayer suggested. I am VERY satisfied with this decision. Its an excellent laptop, perfect for my needs at a great price...and Tiger got it to me 3 days after I placed the order, for only $3 shipping!

I was amazed at how well Kubuntu works on the new machine, and how easy it was to install. I just popped in the DVD, it did most of the work, even helping me shrink the Windows Vista partition (more than Vista was able to shrink itself!). Then I just followed the instructions on the http://linlap.com wiki. Easy.

What is amazing is that it actually took significantly less time to install Kubuntu 8.10 than it did to install Windows Vista... even though Vista was already ON THE LAPTOP, it still needed various installation stuff to be done, had to be rebooted several times, which took forever.

Everything works great -- sound, video, wifi (the laptop has the Intel as watcher69b suggested, it works great), power management, etc.

Thanks to farslayer and everyone else who provided help...and to linuxquestions.org for providing this forum.
I'm glad to hear that worked out so well for you.

It pays to do a little research before purchasing hardware, it can make your life so much easier
 
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
shetn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi All,
I am new to this forum and wanted to check if there are any possibilities to install CENT OS 5.2 version on my HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx laptop?
 
Old 04-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
farslayer
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,228
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 189Reputation: 189
Welcome to Linux Questions.org Shetn !!

Let me start by suggestion that you create a new thread when you have a question, it will get better exposure that way.. OK, now that that is out of the way.


CentOS is a repackaged Redhat Enterprise Linux which is designed for servers. Probably not your best choice of Distro when you are looking to install it on a laptop. I'm assuming your laptop is new and not 5 years old, since you didn't specify.. When it comes to the newer hardware typically found in laptops you are better off choosing one of the mainstream distros for better hardware support out of the box. Newer distros will be the least frustrating to get everything functional on new hardware. Distros for Servers, are not as easy to get new hardware, and multimedia functioning. I watch people struggle trying to get certain media working on Centos, where in Debian it's a simple command to install the functionality needed. so that's my suggestion to you.

Might I suggest the most recent version of one of the following distros (in no particular order)
Fedora
OpenSuse
Ubuntu

Other good options would be
Mepis
Debian
Slackware
Mandriva

those are all pretty mainstream distros and getting assistance should be easy.


Check the Linux Laptop web Sites for how-to's for installing linux on your laptop. This will give you a good indication of what will and won't work as fr as hardware goes.

tuxmobile
linux-on-laptops
linlap
 
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
shetn
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank You

Thank You so much for your help Farslayer. This was very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farslayer View Post
Welcome to Linux Questions.org Shetn !!

Let me start by suggestion that you create a new thread when you have a question, it will get better exposure that way.. OK, now that that is out of the way.


CentOS is a repackaged Redhat Enterprise Linux which is designed for servers. Probably not your best choice of Distro when you are looking to install it on a laptop. I'm assuming your laptop is new and not 5 years old, since you didn't specify.. When it comes to the newer hardware typically found in laptops you are better off choosing one of the mainstream distros for better hardware support out of the box. Newer distros will be the least frustrating to get everything functional on new hardware. Distros for Servers, are not as easy to get new hardware, and multimedia functioning. I watch people struggle trying to get certain media working on Centos, where in Debian it's a simple command to install the functionality needed. so that's my suggestion to you.

Might I suggest the most recent version of one of the following distros (in no particular order)
Fedora
OpenSuse
Ubuntu

Other good options would be
Mepis
Debian
Slackware
Mandriva

those are all pretty mainstream distros and getting assistance should be easy.


Check the Linux Laptop web Sites for how-to's for installing linux on your laptop. This will give you a good indication of what will and won't work as fr as hardware goes.

tuxmobile
linux-on-laptops
linlap
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy Linux preinstalled on laptop leupi Linux - General 6 05-02-2008 09:03 PM
Where can I buy a very cheap linux laptop? mrd Linux - Hardware 5 01-17-2007 11:50 PM
Where to buy laptop with linux installed Baracuda Linux - Laptop and Netbook 8 05-16-2006 06:17 AM
If i want to buy a laptop and install linux on it, what laptop should i buy? zahadumy Linux - Laptop and Netbook 11 04-05-2006 07:25 PM
Want to Buy a Laptop for use with Linux. Any suggestion? okonita Linux - Newbie 3 03-29-2006 12:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration