Linux - Laptop and NetbookHaving a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have the same Problem, I have not changed anything. I just upgraded? I have not done any extensive looking, just a quick search. I did not look at any changes or anything due to the dredful thing called limited time. A quick make oldconfig, make menuconfig, changed PentiumM and added cpu freq scaling stuff (Inspiron 8200). And that was that, cp, blah and etc (I have done this a couple times). I do not know what the problem is. Any advice, help, aid etc, thank you in advance.
I had this problem recently on my 500m. Are you using hotplug and alsa? the problem is most likely that the old sound modules are being loaded first, before the alsa ones and this screws things up. Well, that's what happened with my debian laptop.
Try editing the blacklist in
and add the OSS modules to it. mine contains the following:
#try to get sounds working again
#i810_audio is OSS module and snd_intel8x0m is modem
if this doesn't fix the problem, hopefully it'll put you on the right track...
I am using alsa... so I tried adding a a couple of these to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist, then did (each time the <file> was editied
/etc/init.d/hotplug restart ; /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
I will prob try a restart, and if all else fails, I will work on it more this week-end-ish-maybe. But if rebooting does not work, I will just use my previous version: 2.6.6-rc1. Until I find time to get it working...
gives me sound in a version that didn't give sound because of a buggy snd_intel8x0 module. There was a warning on the alsa project site. The downside is that it wasn't made to work this way and therefor probably makes the system a bit unstable. Because as long as we inicialize the ALSA submodules the OSS emulation is there. Don't forget that in the new 2.6.x kernel if you are trying to use OSS modules.
I had a somewhat similar problem with HP d530 sff, programs were complaining about
/dev/dsp. I simply repaced ALSA by OSS and it "just worked" for my big surprise. This is probably an ALSA bug related with intel8x0.
ALSA works with a little pushing... also need to make sure all your apps are using ALSA. and/or build OSS compatibility mode into the kernel along with ALSA.
Also, you can try just using a daemon like esound or something; I do that, my env is gnome with enlightenment as wm, and I just use the esound daemon and get all apps to play through that
last but not least, check your mixer settings, the upgrade might have reset them all to zero (use alsamixer).
hope this helps!