Tecra 8100 Winmodem Success
Got it going in Slack 9.1 after a some reseach and suggestions from MarvinStodolsky, thanks Marvin.
Note: This is for an internal Lucent LT modem used in the Tecra series, the following program will interrogate and determine if your modem can be configured.
Earlier I tied to shoe-horn in a Mandrake rpm version into Slack, to no avail. Herein Marvin set me straight concerning the correct method. Yes I know. I've shoe-horned other MD files into Slack, but this one's different, so do it right from the get-go.
Before statrting have a piece of paper and pen or pencil handy.
1) Make a separate directory (eg mkdir /lt ) [ /lt used & refered to hereafter].
2) Download ' ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz to /lt
3) cd /lt
4) tar -xvzf ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz
5) cd /lt/ltmodem-8.26a9
6) Optional, but SUGGEST READING ' cat /lt/ltmodem-8.26a9/1ST-READ "
8) Pay attention and follow the on-screen info and prompts
9) Don't get alarmed, you may have to cycle through twice (I did, but probably my fault).
10 Had to edit /etc/module.conf and insert the following three (3) lines.
alias char-major-62 lt_serial
alias /dev/tts/LTO lt_serial
alias /dev/modem lt_serial
[write the changes :wq to vi and verify with ' cat modules.cong ' ]
Now run ' depmod -a '
Done, run kppp (to check it) and select setup, [ device /dev/modem ]
now select [ modem query modem ] and it should read your modem data
If it reads your modem you're in business.