The section in XF86Config-4 is most unhelpful. It just says:
Identifier "Generic Video Card"
But, just to prove what an idiot I was, I didn't scroll down far enough on the X server log. This is what I saw when I did:
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a: m_debug_clip.o": No symbols found
This message is repeated for the following files:
I tried "lspci | grep vga". Output was blank.
** ADDITIONAL **
Found and looked through /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Found reference to:
(II) VESA(0): SAMSUNG
(II) VESA(0): LTN141XC-L01
Also, further down the log:
(II) VESA(0): Generic Monitor: Using hsync range of 30.00-60.00kHz
(II) VESA(0): Generic Monitor: Using vrefresh range of 50.00-75.00 Hz
(II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "1024x768" (width too large for virtual size)
<near the end>
(II) VESA(0): VBESetVBEMode failed...Tried again without customized values.
<Cannot open /dev/input/mice...because I didn't configure a mouse yet>
Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices
** ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL **
After seeing that the only (EE) errors from the logs were associated with a mouse, I plugged in a generic 3-button mouse.
Can you believe IT WORKS now! After one zigzag screen, I'm now getting the GDM GUI on my laptop. Thanks for letting me vent on this forum!