Well, i did think of that, but after reading around i found that that tends to cause more trouble than it's worth.
The mic and the webcam have a tendency not to work, and some of the hot keys die.
I'm not sure i really have the strength to play around with it yet.
I found a couple of things that have helped for now:
Firstly i just turned off all the repositories that it was was looking for so that i could get to the 'add/remove programs window'
And then secondly i used the .sh files supplied by acer at http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...s_one_150.html
Which sorted me for Skype, VLC and firefox 3.
The problem still stands though that i can't get the repository lists for anything on the list :S