LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
trekgirl
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Bremerton, WA, USA
Distribution: Red Hat
Posts: 60

Rep: Reputation: 26
Open Office will not install on factory install of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on Dell Mini 10


I tried installing Open Office 3 and it would not run. It kept saying something about not finding the expected i386 architecture when I tried to install in terminal. However the Intel Atom is an x86 processor so it should work. It boogered the system up so bad that I restored it back to factory fresh. This install came with Open Office 2.4. It has only 3 of the apps installed. When I try to install the full version I get the same problem. The problem seems to stem mostly from the database application. I don't need the app right now but it would be great to get it working. So does anyone have any ideas? Or maybe a different Office type suite that will run on Ubuntu 8.04 that can deal with the docx format now out in MS Office?
 
Old 07-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
rtg
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Ukraine
Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04
Posts: 99
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 19
Could you please provide the info about the medium you used to install Ubuntu 8.04LTS, in case I need to reproduce the issue locally. It would also help if you could quote the exact error message here.

Intel Atom is a regular x86, so this may be be due to a bug in installation script.

You may also want to install Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix as it comes with OpenOffice 3 preinstalled. Any special reasons behind the usage of 8.04 LTS?
 
Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,791
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414
Quote:
It kept saying something about not finding the expected i386 architecture when I tried to install in terminal.
This is a long-standing problem with the version of Ubuntu Dell installs. In fact it was the #1 reason why I dumped it from my Mini 9. The cause of the problem is that the Dell version of Ubuntu has been compiled with the lpia architecture (Low Power Intel Architecture) flag, which Synaptics thinks isn't compatible with i386 packages and therefore won't install them.

You've got a few options. If you want to stick with this version of Ubuntu, this thread outlines how you can get around the lpia mess. However, I would suggest moving to an i386 version of Ubuntu or another distro altogether. Neither Dell nor Canonical seem to support lpia very well, so you'll run into this often.
 
Old 08-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
trekgirl
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Bremerton, WA, USA
Distribution: Red Hat
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 26
Thanks for your post! I will definitely try it. I don't want to nuke 8.04 yet because its got the dell drivers and the elantech junk for the touchpad on it. LOL! I'll give it a shot and I'll let you know if I have success with it. If not, I'll download the version 9 off of the Ubuntu website and install that instead. Do you happen to know if the Elantech drivers are available for downlaod for v9?

Last edited by trekgirl; 08-01-2009 at 02:10 PM.
 
Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,791
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414
To be honest, I don't know. I've just been using the usual Synaptic drivers for my touchpad and it has worked fine. The only driver I worry about is the Broadcom driver for the wireless card and that is readily available from Broadcom and I think it is on several *buntu repositories. You might also do some searching at the mydellmini forums. I've found that site to be pretty useful.
 
Old 08-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
trekgirl
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Bremerton, WA, USA
Distribution: Red Hat
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42 View Post
To be honest, I don't know. I've just been using the usual Synaptic drivers for my touchpad and it has worked fine. The only driver I worry about is the Broadcom driver for the wireless card and that is readily available from Broadcom and I think it is on several *buntu repositories. You might also do some searching at the mydellmini forums. I've found that site to be pretty useful.
Awesome! Thank you so much!
 
Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
moxieman99
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Distribution: Dabble, but latest used are Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 10.4.1
Posts: 413

Rep: Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgirl View Post
I tried installing Open Office 3 and it would not run. It kept saying something about not finding the expected i386 architecture when I tried to install in terminal. However the Intel Atom is an x86 processor so it should work. It boogered the system up so bad that I restored it back to factory fresh. This install came with Open Office 2.4. It has only 3 of the apps installed. When I try to install the full version I get the same problem. The problem seems to stem mostly from the database application. I don't need the app right now but it would be great to get it working. So does anyone have any ideas? Or maybe a different Office type suite that will run on Ubuntu 8.04 that can deal with the docx format now out in MS Office?
-------------------
Installing one version of openoffice on top of another is fraught with problems. I had to customize my Fedora installs by not installing the OpenOffice that came with Fedora Core 10 and then installing OpenOffice 3.1 afterwards. Your problem may be that the OpenOffice you are trying to install doesn't like the OpenOffice already there.

Once installed, there is a .docx converter/integrator program that is separate from OpenOffice that you can download and install. OpenOffice 3.0 does not read .docx files natively. I can't remember if OpenOffice 3.1 does or not. Nifty separate app you can get from OpenOffice web site solves that problem.

Also, I seem to recall that OpenOffice 3.0 had a security flaw, fixed in 3.1.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware Install 12.2 Dell Mini 12 jlsavage Slackware - Installation 16 10-29-2009 07:00 AM
Ubuntu server 6.06 LTS won't start after install saber0091 Linux - General 19 10-27-2009 03:57 AM
Cannot install Skype on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS smurthy Ubuntu 8 11-02-2008 01:27 AM
Can't install Ubuntu 8.04 on Compaq Evo D510, but can install 8.04 LTS Server. Lobaht Ubuntu 2 07-30-2008 11:19 PM
LXer: Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS -- a better way to install the most stable Ubuntu LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-22-2008 05:50 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration