LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Polanski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 234

Rep: Reputation: 30
meego system76 starling netbook


To whom it may concern,

I am having a few problems with the Meego OS on my system76 starling netbook. The wireless and ethernet do not seem to be detected or labeled correctly on Meego. I ran dmesg and this is what comes up loisabled Privacy Extensions. lo I am assuming is the wireless device. Also after I run lspci this is what comes up for the wireless and ethernet devices 05:00.0 Network Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL819SEvB Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)
9:00.5 Ethernet controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMC260 PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 02) Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated to fix this problem. I know how to use some of the terminal, but if the instructions I get are to be executed in the terminal a step by step instruction would be great.
 
Old 05-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
PhoenixAndThor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Geogia, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Live CDs
Posts: 213

Rep: Reputation: 38
Well, first of, 'lo' is the loopback device. Every OS I know of has the ability to ping it's own network card (127.0.0.1). It's a simple check to see if a network card is working at all. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Meego all that much. I'll download it and see what I can do.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
PhoenixAndThor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Geogia, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Live CDs
Posts: 213

Rep: Reputation: 38
Wow, Meego has a pretty conservative package repo when it comes to drivers. Either that, or the search feature in the package manager isn't doing a very good job. I also tried searching for any packages with 'rtl' in the name. The wiki doesn't have much on the subject either. The forum also doesn't seem to have any useful information. You may have to hook it up to wired ethernet, go to the realtek website and build the driver from scratch. I think I found the right wireless card here(RTL8192SE), but don't quote me on that. I usually don't suggest this, but if you can't get the wireless card (a vital piece of hardware) to work with Meego, then it may be a good idea to either ask for your money back, or wipe the hard drive and install another distro that supports the card.

Last edited by PhoenixAndThor; 05-28-2011 at 07:16 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Polanski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 234

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAndThor View Post
Well, first of, 'lo' is the loopback device. Every OS I know of has the ability to ping it's own network card (127.0.0.1). It's a simple check to see if a network card is working at all. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Meego all that much. I'll download it and see what I can do.
I pinged the network card it seems to be working.
 
Old 05-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Polanski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 234

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAndThor View Post
Wow, Meego has a pretty conservative package repo when it comes to drivers. Either that, or the search feature in the package manager isn't doing a very good job. I also tried searching for any packages with 'rtl' in the name. The wiki doesn't have much on the subject either. The forum also doesn't seem to have any useful information. You may have to hook it up to wired ethernet, go to the realtek website and build the driver from scratch. I think I found the right wireless card here(RTL8192SE), but don't quote me on that. I usually don't suggest this, but if you can't get the wireless card (a vital piece of hardware) to work with Meego, then it may be a good idea to either ask for your money back, or wipe the hard drive and install another distro that supports the card.
The wired ethernet is working either. I can't get online currently. Also how do I build a driver from scratch? I am willing to wait for Meego to release the proper driver, but if there is any way I can get the wired or wireless to work sooner rather than later it is preferred. Thank you very much for your help.
 
Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
D/ling and installing the JMicron wired network drivers shouldnt be that hard-

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/Ethernet/Linux/

Just follow the basic directions in the 'readme.txt'.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
PhoenixAndThor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Geogia, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Live CDs
Posts: 213

Rep: Reputation: 38
Sorry for the lag again. Yes, installing drivers manually usually only takes a few commands in a terminal. You're going to need C/C++ compiler (look for gcc, or g++ packages) if building from source. You may also need the header files for your kernel version. To find out what kernel you have, open a terminal and run uname -a. I hope this helps.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Polanski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 234

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
D/ling and installing the JMicron wired network drivers shouldnt be that hard-

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/Ethernet/Linux/

Just follow the basic directions in the 'readme.txt'.
I followed the readme.txt and make is not installed. I tried to install it through the terminal but there are some dependencies missing gcc I believe. Is there another way I can install the driver without make? Thank you for your help.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Polanski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 234

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAndThor View Post
Sorry for the lag again. Yes, installing drivers manually usually only takes a few commands in a terminal. You're going to need C/C++ compiler (look for gcc, or g++ packages) if building from source. You may also need the header files for your kernel version. To find out what kernel you have, open a terminal and run uname -a. I hope this helps.
Before I can install the ethernet driver I need to install make and before I can install make I need to install some dependencies. The first dependency I have tried to install is gcc and that does not seem to be working. When I run the command ./configure this is what comes up on the last few lines

checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in /home/tyon/gcc-4.6.0:
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

How can I fix this problem?
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
PhoenixAndThor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Geogia, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Live CDs
Posts: 213

Rep: Reputation: 38
Sorry for the lag time, I've been busy cramming for a final at college. The 'configure' file only checks to see if the dependencies are already installed, it does NOT install them for you. That's what your package manager does. If you can connect to the Internet through normal ethernet cable. It looks like a phone jack, but with a slightly larger head. Then go to Applications > System Tools > Manage Apps. Once you get the package manager up, click on System > Refresh Package Lists. Now try search for make, gcc, and anything else it complains about.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
Polanski
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 234

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAndThor View Post
Sorry for the lag time, I've been busy cramming for a final at college. The 'configure' file only checks to see if the dependencies are already installed, it does NOT install them for you. That's what your package manager does. If you can connect to the Internet through normal ethernet cable. It looks like a phone jack, but with a slightly larger head. Then go to Applications > System Tools > Manage Apps. Once you get the package manager up, click on System > Refresh Package Lists. Now try search for make, gcc, and anything else it complains about.
I can't get online, the ethernet connection isn't working either. I've been trying to get the ethernet working and i've had no luck. The problem might be with iwconfig or something else I really don't know. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
PhoenixAndThor
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Geogia, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Live CDs
Posts: 213

Rep: Reputation: 38
Wow, the wired network connection won't work either? At this point, have you contacted system76 about the problem? Assuming that the OS is stock (it came that way from the vendor), you should be able to demand your money back from them. You can also try installing another Linux distribution on the netbook, or if that doesn't work, you could always sell it for parts. Sorry I can't give you any more help. I really wish someone else more knowledgeable than me can come up with a solution.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polanski View Post
Before I can install the ethernet driver I need to install make and before I can install make I need to install some dependencies. The first dependency I have tried to install is gcc and that does not seem to be working. When I run the command ./configure this is what comes up on the last few lines

checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in /home/tyon/gcc-4.6.0:
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

How can I fix this problem?
Really weird, but a quick internet search showed me results for at least some versions of meego having no GCC.

Without knowing more about meego, I have no idea if GCC (and the other dependencies you need) is installable offline.

Seems like its not playing nicely with your hardware, considered trying a different distro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAndThor View Post
Wow, the wired network connection won't work either? At this point, have you contacted system76 about the problem? Assuming that the OS is stock (it came that way from the vendor), you should be able to demand your money back from them.
AFAIK system76 only sells with ubuntu. Since the OP is trying to use Meego I'd guess that emailing system 76 would be pretty pointless.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
ShowMeGrrl
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
System76 has a driver for the Starling

The System76 Driver adds support for devices that aren't natively supported by Ubuntu. The System76 driver is open source software released under the GNU GPL. I believe that it supports wi-fi and possibly ethernet.

You can download the driver at: http://planet76.com/repositories/

Whether it will work on Meego, I don't know, but you might want to give it a try.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Super OS 10.10 or Meego on my netbook with WIndows XP Home? Muldar Linux - Newbie 6 11-26-2010 06:53 PM
LXer: Initial Findings: MeeGo 1.1 Netbook vs. Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-05-2010 08:20 AM
LXer: MeeGo v1.0 Core Software Platform & Netbook User Experience project release LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-28-2010 08:50 AM
LXer: System76 Refreshes, Expands Ubuntu Netbook and Desktop Lineup LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-11-2009 10:01 PM
LXer: System76 Launches Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-28-2009 04:10 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration