Linux - Laptop and NetbookHaving a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I'm about to buy a laptop, hopefully a AMD Turion-non-Sis-based one, and i'm getting quite desperate about those incompatibility issues i've read about all over the net. So i wonder if it's possible to find a laptop that fits into the following characteristics:
1. Budget laptop, less than $1000,00 (US dollars)
2. AMD Turion/Sempron mobile processor
3. Fully functional VGA (I'd love to have some nvidia stuff) 2D and 3D
4. NO SIS CHIPSET! IT SUX!
5. 14' (widescreen) or 15' LCD TFT.
6. Available for customers in the USA (I'm brazilian but i could get some from the US much easier than from Europe or Japan).
7. Fully linux compatible or at least not linux hostile, like those Compaqs with broadcom wireless stuff and useless multimedia cards. If i'm wrong and compaq/hp is not linux hostile, please let me know!
Once i almost bought a Compaq from the v2000z series... i dunno what to buy now. I'm not affraid to edit confs, recompile the kernel over and over again and hack around to get the work done. I'm seriously planning on using Gentoo and spend weeks to make all functional, that's not a problem really.
Thank you. I found out that my father has a friend in Japan and he is coming back to Brazil for a few weeks of vacation next month. Do you think I could get such a notebook from Japan, I mean cheaper than US stuff and still usebla (no japanese keyboard and stuff)?