LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
pytiwari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
is there anyway I can get Intel wifi 4965AGN working with FC6?


Hi,
I have intel next gen wireless card on my Dell Inspiron E1505. I guess it is also known as Intel wifi link 4965AGN. Intel has drivers for all other wireless card. This one came out recently and does not seem to be widespread as yet. Intel does not have any driver for this on their site. I had no luck with ndiswrapper either.

Anyone got it working? I am using FC6.
 
Old 04-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
kickabear
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pytiwari
Hi,
I have intel next gen wireless card on my Dell Inspiron E1505. I guess it is also known as Intel wifi link 4965AGN. Intel has drivers for all other wireless card. This one came out recently and does not seem to be widespread as yet. Intel does not have any driver for this on their site. I had no luck with ndiswrapper either.

Anyone got it working? I am using FC6.
I don't have it working, but I did find a reason to hope:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireles.../CS-025330.htm

Looks like the drivers will be released between now and July. We can only hope.
 
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
pytiwari
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks for the reply. I checked intel site too. Well, you are right, all we can do is hope
 
Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
mhwong
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pytiwari View Post
Hi,
I have intel next gen wireless card on my Dell Inspiron E1505. I guess it is also known as Intel wifi link 4965AGN. Intel has drivers for all other wireless card. This one came out recently and does not seem to be widespread as yet. Intel does not have any driver for this on their site. I had no luck with ndiswrapper either.

Anyone got it working? I am using FC6.
I don't know about FC6, but on my RHEL5.1 laptop, I just got the 4965agn working. This is what I did:

Download linux-2.6.24 kernel (linux-2.6.24.tar.gz from kernel.org)

sudo su
tar xzvpf linux-2.6.24.tar.gz -C /usr/src
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.24 /usr/src/linux
cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig

You can keep all the defaults, but turn on the device driver for Intel 4965agn

make -j4
make modules
make modules_install
make install

reboot

Wireless automatically works
 
Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
srinivasmiriyalu
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Banglore-India
Distribution: RHEL5.2,Fedora9&11,Opensolaris 5.11,SXDE 1/08,CentOS-5.3,Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 149

Rep: Reputation: 16
installing kernel and wireless is not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhwong View Post
I don't know about FC6, but on my RHEL5.1 laptop, I just got the 4965agn working. This is what I did:

Download linux-2.6.24 kernel (linux-2.6.24.tar.gz from kernel.org)

sudo su
tar xzvpf linux-2.6.24.tar.gz -C /usr/src
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.24 /usr/src/linux
cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig

You can keep all the defaults, but turn on the device driver for Intel 4965agn

make -j4
make modules
make modules_install
make install

reboot

Wireless automatically works

hi
i have done what u said in this forum exactly

but while iam enabling intel wirelss 4965AGN is present but is i was unable to enable that option...
please help me out..........
 
Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
mhwong
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmiriyalu View Post
hi
i have done what u said in this forum exactly

but while iam enabling intel wirelss 4965AGN is present but is i was unable to enable that option...
please help me out..........
I assume you mean on the "make xconfig" step. I'm not really sure why you can't enable that option.... I'm not really an expert on compiling the Linux kernel. Perhaps you can post a question to the Linux Kernel mailing list at http://www.kernel.org as this sounds like an issue regarding compiling the Linux kernel.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wifi Atheros on FC6 (Dell Precision M70) japega Fedora 17 03-27-2007 08:42 PM
I cannot get my WiFi to work in FC6 [Broadcom 4318] MangoFresh Linux - Wireless Networking 19 03-22-2007 09:49 AM
Intel Core Duo SpeedStep not working in FC6 sn_piranha Linux - Laptop and Netbook 21 12-15-2006 05:55 AM
FC6 and Intel 3945 not working ackeye Fedora 2 11-17-2006 02:41 PM
WiFi,Intel ProWireless 3945a/b/g drmjh Linux - Hardware 0 10-19-2006 07:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration