LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
Zaraphrax
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 57

Rep: Reputation: 10
Internal microphone not working - Debian Squeeze + Dell Latitude E6410


Hi all,

I am having trouble getting my internal microphone working so I can use Skype. The machine is a Dell Latitude E6410 and it's running Debian Squeeze x86_64. I had found some stuff online which suggested adding the following line to my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf would make it work:

Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=dell-s14
This worked when I was running Fedora on the machine, but on Debian - no dice!

Attached is my alsa-base.conf. This is now back to the default:

Code:
# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq ; }
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-emu10k1-synth ; : ; }

# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
# Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
Here is some other info about my system which may be helpful:

Code:
ashton@hubble:~$ uname -a
Linux hubble 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 15:35:08 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
ashton@hubble:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
ashton@hubble:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
ashton@hubble:~$ head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 <==
Codec: IDT 92HD81B1C5

==> /proc/asound/card1/codec#0 <==
Codec: Nvidia ID b

==> /proc/asound/card1/codec#1 <==
Codec: Nvidia ID b

==> /proc/asound/card1/codec#2 <==
Codec: Nvidia ID b

==> /proc/asound/card1/codec#3 <==
Codec: Nvidia ID b
Any help will be greatly appreciated as this is very annoying!
 
Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,221

Rep: Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474
Don't know if this will help you or not, but I recently had the same problem with my new Vaio laptop, and openSUSE. Turns out the ALSA driver for the card I have (coincidentally, using nVidia hardware with a similar setup), didn't have some options enabled. I had to upgrade to ALSA 1.0.23, and the problem was resolved.

I found a doc on the openSUSE site which told me what repos to add and how to update it...was a simple three-line command, and it worked after a reboot. The Debian ALSA page I found was here: http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA

I'd try to update to 1.0.23, and see if it works...if not, you can always roll back.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Zaraphrax
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 57

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Don't know if this will help you or not, but I recently had the same problem with my new Vaio laptop, and openSUSE. Turns out the ALSA driver for the card I have (coincidentally, using nVidia hardware with a similar setup), didn't have some options enabled. I had to upgrade to ALSA 1.0.23, and the problem was resolved.

I found a doc on the openSUSE site which told me what repos to add and how to update it...was a simple three-line command, and it worked after a reboot. The Debian ALSA page I found was here: http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA

I'd try to update to 1.0.23, and see if it works...if not, you can always roll back.
G'day,

Thanks for your suggestion. I shall give this a go tomorrow and see if that works.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,221

Rep: Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaraphrax View Post
G'day,

Thanks for your suggestion. I shall give this a go tomorrow and see if that works.
No problem..hope it helps. I can only tell you it worked for me.

One irritating thing, though. It worked fine, but then after a kernel update I had to reload my nVidia graphics drivers too (no big surprise, there..), but the update also broke Alsa again. Had to go back through the same steps after the update, to make it work again. Maybe Debian has rolled that patch forward into things, but I know for openSUSE I had to jump through a hoop or two.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Zaraphrax
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 57

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
No problem..hope it helps. I can only tell you it worked for me.

One irritating thing, though. It worked fine, but then after a kernel update I had to reload my nVidia graphics drivers too (no big surprise, there..), but the update also broke Alsa again. Had to go back through the same steps after the update, to make it work again. Maybe Debian has rolled that patch forward into things, but I know for openSUSE I had to jump through a hoop or two.

Thanks again. I've wandered on over to the Debian User Forums and asked if anyone over there knows anything. I can't seem to find any mention of upgrading ALSA on Squeeze - there's plenty of places that talk about it, none which give any sort of procedure.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
Zaraphrax
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Posts: 57

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
Awesome, it's now working.

Here is the link to the thread just in case anyone is curious:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.p...59057&p=342140
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,221

Rep: Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaraphrax View Post
Awesome, it's now working.

Here is the link to the thread just in case anyone is curious:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.p...59057&p=342140
Thanks for posting the Debian-related solution to the problem.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Debian - Dell Latitude E6410 - "Cannot enumerate device" error on resume from RAM Zaraphrax Linux - Laptop and Netbook 2 12-15-2010 03:39 PM
Dell Latitude E6410 Harigh Linux - Laptop and Netbook 6 12-14-2010 10:41 AM
[SOLVED] Internal microphone not working with KDE alfredo10 Linux - Desktop 4 10-07-2010 01:28 PM
Internal Microphone not working on Sony VAIO SR16 with ALC262 greengrocer Linux - Newbie 7 08-19-2009 10:17 AM
Ubuntu 8.04, Dell Studio 15: How do i make internal microphone work? anotherethan Linux - Newbie 2 02-07-2009 05:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration