LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
ext2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2013
Location: Indonesia
Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago)
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Help Me!! My monitor is blank after update kernel


Hello, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS i386.
Yesterday, I am update my kernel to 3.8 rc-1.
I am download a kernel here http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
I have tried compile a kernel and success.
Today I have a new problem about my laptop, a monitor is blank
How can fix it?
Please help
 
Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
John VV
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Posts: 13,260

Rep: Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774Reputation: 1774
reinstall using a supported os
Ubuntu 12.04 is the current LTS


And a question ?
WHY would you install a "rc-1" testing ONLY kernel and on a old system ( and do that to your mom )
the "rc-" means Release candidate ONE .A very buggy and very unstable testing ONLY version that IS full of bugs .

however , if you did not remove the old kernel it is still on the system

boot into the old kernel during boot
there should be one back up AND a back up for that

Last edited by John VV; 01-04-2013 at 12:11 PM.
 
Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
ext2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2013
Location: Indonesia
Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago)
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks for advice...
But, I have another question.
So, do you think there was an effect with the old Ubuntu operating system with the latest kernel?

Last edited by ext2; 01-17-2013 at 09:32 AM.
 
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
TroN-0074
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan USA
Distribution: OpenSUSE 13.2 64bit-Gnome on ASUS U52F
Posts: 1,430

Rep: Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext2 View Post
Thanks for advice...
But, I have another question.
So, do you think there was an effect with the old Ubuntu operating system with the latest kernel?
The kernel is the part of the operation system that handle drivers for the hardware in your computer. So the blank screen occurred because the kernel you built didn't have the right driver for your video card

Like mentioned above the rc labeled kernel is meant to be use for testers developers, no for home users that need their system for everyday computing stuff.

If you are interested in become a tester you could acquired a different computer and dedicate it to install beta stage software. expect lots of things to break all the time though. and report bugs to the mailing list.

Good luck to you.
 
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Nbiser
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Fedora, Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Helix,
Posts: 290
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 43
I agree with John VV, you should re-install with a supported OS. Did you have backups? If you didn't you'll lose all of your data.
 
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
ext2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2013
Location: Indonesia
Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago)
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroN-0074 View Post
The kernel is the part of the operation system that handle drivers for the hardware in your computer. So the blank screen occurred because the kernel you built didn't have the right driver for your video card

Like mentioned above the rc labeled kernel is meant to be use for testers developers, no for home users that need their system for everyday computing stuff.

If you are interested in become a tester you could acquired a different computer and dedicate it to install beta stage software. expect lots of things to break all the time though. and report bugs to the mailing list.

Good luck to you.
Okay, thanks Tron

---------- Post added 01-18-13 at 04:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbiser View Post
I agree with John VV, you should re-install with a supported OS. Did you have backups? If you didn't you'll lose all of your data.
Yes I'd backup my old kernel...
Thanks for advice
 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
ukiuki
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,029

Rep: Reputation: 370Reputation: 370Reputation: 370Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext2 View Post
...Yes I'd backup my old kernel...
I have the impression he meant things like: text, photos, music, video, config files, etc.
We don't usually backup kernels that come with the install, which looks like is what you have, except if it is a custom one.

Regards
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
ext2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2013
Location: Indonesia
Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago)
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiuki View Post
I have the impression he meant things like: text, photos, music, video, config files, etc.
We don't usually backup kernels that come with the install, which looks like is what you have, except if it is a custom one.

Regards
Of course, I backup my data like photos, music, documents, etc.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
blank monitor? lilili Linux - Hardware 2 10-13-2007 05:01 PM
monitor blank after closing x DisplayName Linux - Newbie 1 10-02-2007 09:22 AM
Monitor Blank klasact Linux - Newbie 1 05-29-2006 11:18 PM
Monitor goes blank on shutdown jorisb Linux - Hardware 4 01-26-2004 11:02 AM
monitor off / blank R@LF Linux - Hardware 5 08-02-2003 08:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration