Great!!! That worked. I found, downloaded and force installed a Fedora 8 coreutils.rpm and now I have a beautiful "head" command in my usr/bin, and I've been able to install almost what I wanted.
Thanks a lot for your help. Anyway, I'll look for than new linpus to see if I can upgrade.
By the way, here is where I found the Fedora 8 repos in case anyone as outdated as I am needs them:http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/
All I have to do now is to find out why Acrobat reader doesn't work although it tells me it is installed,but that is another issue...
PD: Linpus 1.7 is a 64 bit, and my processor is a 32 bit one, so I cannot upgrade. I think mine must be the old linpus 9, 32 bit and completely outdated now, but working perfectly for me (apart from the reader problem).
Thanks again for your help.