LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Laptop and Netbook (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/)
-   -   Display Drivers for Acer 5738G (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/display-drivers-for-acer-5738g-4175427769/)

kikloo 09-18-2012 02:38 AM

Display Drivers for Acer 5738G
 
Hi,

Yesterday I was on Windows 8 and suddenly I got a black screen saying: "OS Not Found". I wasted several hours trying to fix it but failed. Later I understood that it corrupted the partitions on my laptop.

Hence I had a boot CD and somehow I deleted the partitions (Lost all my data). And then managed to get Windows back on.

I want to use Ubuntu on my laptop, but I think it uses generic drivers for display. Where can I find display drivers for my laptop ? I tried to search google etc. but did'nt found any.

Can anyone help me in this regard ?

Thanks.

adamk75 09-18-2012 04:36 AM

What makes you think it's using generic drivers? Show us your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Adam

Lone_Wolf 09-18-2012 08:54 AM

Ubuntu has many drivers included, apart from /var/log/Xorg.0.log file the output of lspci would also be helpful

TobiSGD 09-18-2012 04:59 PM

As I found out the Acer 5738G uses the Radeon HD4570 video chip. Ubuntu supports this chip out of the box with the free radeon drivers (which I would not recommend at all on laptops due to crappy power management), but you can also use the "Additional Drivers" application to install the proprietary AMD drivers.

kikloo 10-02-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4783693)
As I found out the Acer 5738G uses the Radeon HD4570 video chip. Ubuntu supports this chip out of the box with the free radeon drivers (which I would not recommend at all on laptops due to crappy power management), but you can also use the "Additional Drivers" application to install the proprietary AMD drivers.

Hi,

Mine says: Intel GMA 4500 MHD.

Thanks.

TobiSGD 10-02-2012 07:14 AM

OK, I researched a little bit more about this laptop and it seems that there were versions with Intel, Nvidia and ATI videochips (next time you should post such relevant info in the first post you make).
Intel delivers for their video chips on Linux only open source drivers, which are installed by default on Ubuntu (and almost any other distro). Your card is fully supported, you won't get any better drivers.

kikloo 10-02-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4794832)
OK, I researched a little bit more about this laptop and it seems that there were versions with Intel, Nvidia and ATI videochips (next time you should post such relevant info in the first post you make).
Intel delivers for their video chips on Linux only open source drivers, which are installed by default on Ubuntu (and almost any other distro). Your card is fully supported, you won't get any better drivers.

Then why the display is not as good as Windows ? Windows is showing better than Ubuntu. Is there any specific reason for it ?

TobiSGD 10-02-2012 07:17 AM

Since I don't sit in front of your computer I only could guess what you mean with "not as good" in the first place.

kikloo 10-02-2012 07:19 AM

Hi,

Lets take the font, in Windows its thin and fine. Where as in Ubuntu its all fatty.

In windows screen resolution is: 1366x768
I will boot into Ubuntu to tell the resolution.

Even its going to be same, the Ubuntu looks fatty.

Thanks.

TobiSGD 10-02-2012 07:39 AM

If you don't like the default font just change it. I don't use the Unity interface, but I am sure there is an option to do that.

kikloo 10-02-2012 08:12 AM

Hi,

Just checked resolution is also same in Ubuntu. Dunno whats the issue maybe there is so much space in between the chars, icons etc. If you don't use Unity then what do you use ?

Thanks.

TobiSGD 10-02-2012 09:51 AM

i3
Not one for everyone, but for me it is perfect.

kikloo 10-02-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4794982)
i3
Not one for everyone, but for me it is perfect.

Hmmm what other desktops i can use ?

TobiSGD 10-02-2012 10:51 AM

You can try Cinnamon, Gnome 3/Shell, KDE, MATE, XFCE and LXDE. From these I would think that KDE gives you the most Windows-like experience.

kikloo 10-02-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4795035)
You can try Cinnamon, Gnome 3/Shell, KDE, MATE, XFCE and LXDE. From these I would think that KDE gives you the most Windows-like experience.

Hi,

How to get KDE in ubuntu ?

Thanks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.