Upgrading a slackware 12.1 kernel (18.104.22.168-smp) to a 13 kernel (22.214.171.124-smp)
I've been able to manually upgrade a slackware 12.1 kernel to a 13 kernel.
I had to:
- Upgrade the package manager (pkgtools)
- Install xz (utility for xz archives, slackware 13 uses this format for packages)
- Change /etc/fstab to use sda instead of hda
- Change /etc/lilo.conf to use sda instead of hda
- Install the new kernel, modules, source
- Run lilo after booting with a slackware 13 cd (can't run lilo within slackware 12.1 if the lilo configuration is set to use sda devices)
The 126.96.36.199-smp kernel maps sda devices instead of hda devices on the system that i'm upgrading. The 188.8.131.52-smp kernel detects my disks as hda devices.
I'm trying to automate the kernel upgrade by making a slackware package but lilo won't write to the MBR if there are sda devices in the configuration which can't be detected as sda devices on my 184.108.40.206-smp kernel.
I have the following questions:
- Is there a way to upgrade a slackware 12.1 kernel to a 13 kernel without rebooting into a slackware 13 cd?
- Is lilo able to forcibly write to the MBR without checking for existing sda devices?
Thanks in advance.