LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software > Linux - Kernel
User Name
Password
Linux - Kernel This forum is for all discussion relating to the Linux kernel.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Malachite
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
[solved] Removing multipath from F8/9 kernel to fix forced mapper/mpath0 devices


Greetings all. I have a home built desktop running on an ABIT IT7 Max2 MB.

This MB has the standard IDE controller capable of running 4 devices plus an additional HighPoint 473 ata133 raid controller capable of running 4 more.

Currently there is one 40G IDE drive and a CDROM on the original master/slave and two SATA 150 drives attached to the ata133 highpoint controller. (Weird config that a 133 device has a 150 option and sata ports but it does.)

In the BIOS the two drives are left in the unconfigured state. It only allows a JBOD selection if I select both drives to be JBOD'd together so I skipped that to allow them to be seen by the OS as individual drives. I booted into windows XP just to make sure the overall hardware was sane and everything works well with two 320G sata drives and the one 40G ide.

I Then installed F8 and F9 and the installer keeps seeing the two sata drives as a mpath01 device and trying to make them one single 320G device. Since they are going to be data only I decided to just install to the 40G drive and ignore the 320's for now. This seemed to work fine but after rebooting it basically fails with the following:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 6.0.19 starting
device-mapper: table: 253:0: multipath: error getting device
device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
device-mapper: table ioctl failed: No such device or address
device-mapper: deps ioctl failed: No such device or address

and then it segfaults.

If I boot into rescue mode everything works fine and I see sda, sdb and sdc perfectly fine. The 320G drives are sda and sdb and the 40G drive with the os is sdc. I can even chroot my disk perfectly fine.

I want to see the individual disks so I am thinking that maybe if i can remove the dm_* components from the initrd file then maybe that will be a good workaround.

My problem is removing the modules to be able to run mkinitrd.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by Malachite; 09-28-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Solved and new title
 
Old 09-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Malachite
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Looks like I found my own answer finally. I will post it here in case someone else runs across this. Reading the man page for mkinitrd didn't give all the solutions. After just typing mkinitrd <enter> I found a new option that appears to be the one I needed. Basically my solution was mkinitrd --omit-dmraid.
 
  


Reply

Tags
dmraid, mkinitrd


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pvcreate + multipath hphinizy Linux - Server 2 09-12-2008 03:11 PM
Multipath and JBOD mikerault Linux - Enterprise 1 07-23-2008 03:15 PM
kernel multipath messages pmc2000 Linux - Server 2 09-21-2007 10:45 AM
Software Multipath Lenux78 Linux - Software 2 09-20-2007 01:13 PM
Removing Kernel Rv5 Linux - General 4 02-07-2004 09:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration