I have several Red Hat EL5 machines registered with RHN. I can see several of these update types waiting to be installed:
- Kernel security and bug fix update
- Kernel security update
- Kernel bug fix update
As I go through the description of these updates, I take special notice of these two lines:
- The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux operating system.
- The system must be rebooted for this update to take effect
I would like to know
- What sort of changes do these updates make in general
- Do these updates change my entire kernel or kernel parameters or kernel related files
- What should be best approach to perform these updates since some machines are in Production platform and have not updated for a very long period.
I would be very pleased if someone can kindly answer my queries.