Thanks for looking at this
I have used Linux Live DVDs for some time now, they have always run and installed OK, until I built a new box.
Live DVDs -
Lycoris, Ubuntu, SuSE9.3, Lazy Dragon Slackware,
When I attempt to run any of these Live DVDs I have a "Kernel Panic" error, the DVDs will sometimes go a fair way into the setup (as a live DVD - not HD-Install) and sometimes not.
Error messages that are included with "Kernel Panic"
"Searching for USB devices" then freezing.
"This should never happen" Your joking right?
"Ctrl Alt Del to reboot"
"try copying all data from boot media to /mnt/sda1/alldata/ then attempt to run live script DVD"
"Linux Live cannot continue"
Appears to be going all ok then "Kernel Panic not Syncing, reboot"
I have purchased the current Slackware 12.2 DVD and it has run, then installed ok (Why?), however I want to merge Lazy Dragons "Cinerella, Kino and other video apps" into current Slack12.2 with emphasis on Video Editing as I have a CamCorder, (I am an amatuer to say the least.
I have System rescue 1.0.4 and that runs ok as well.
MOBO - ASUS M3N78 Pro
CPU - AMD Phenom Quad Core Black Edition 2.6g
RAM - 2 x 2gDDR200
PCIE Graph card - NVidia Ge Force 9500 1g Ram
1 x 750g WD Caviar SATA - WinXP 64bit - Format NTFS
1 x 30g WD Caviar IDE - Slackware12.2 - Swap + Reiserfs
1 x Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S SATA
On Board sound Realtek (Sounds great BUT low volume issue, no grunt,) be warned if you are considering this MOBO, i am going to put PCIE Sound card in.
What I have tried -
- Tried all of above Live DVDs several times with errors each time.
- Run DBan and Autonuked the 30g WD IDE, then tried the above again with same result.
- Disconnected the 750SATA as I wondered whether the Live scripts were "confused'with 2 HDs - SATA vs IDE battle?.
- Formatted in Fat32 hoping it may please the DVD, same results.
What I would like to try
I have a lot to learn about Linux, its a great system and challenging.
- Could I set up a virtual drive in Slackware-WD30gIDE then run Lazy Dragon from that virtual drive? Advice appreciated. What would be the best way to /mnt/ Where to /mnt/?
- Can you unpack a bootable disc? All I want are the Packages mentioned?
Thanks for your time