I executed the following steps:
1) Download kernel 2.6.16 (FC5's 2.6.16-1.2122) from the distribution's SRPM folder
2) Unzip source-RPM, etc...
3) Configure with 'make gconfig' (Here is my .config file
4) make, make modules, make install, make modules_install.
Everything seemed to work fine, and I was happy with my configuration. But then, when I booted the new kernel, I got the infamous message saying "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)".
I've googled this message maybe a 100 times, and looked through this very forum. Many solutions were suggested, but none helped me. I think I compiled this kernel about 15 times...
First, most of the solutions are distribution-specific, and do not help me with Fedora Core 5.
Second, almost all of the people who had this problem use lilo, and had some mistake with the lilo configuration. I use grub, and beside the fact that I let 'make install' configure it for me (which usually works perfectly on FC), I checked, double checked and triple checked the grub configuration file. If this is not enough
, here it is
. The second kernel (Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2133_FC5)) is my default kernel, I didn't compile it but rather installed it from RPM, and it works perfectly.
More information I can think of:
1) My Linux drive is regular IDE hard-drive, it's dev is /dev/hdb (I think /boot is /dev/hdb1 and / is /dev/hdb2). Linux (FC3, to be exact) partitioned it.
2) Both /boot and / are ext3 (see kernel .config file above for detail about my configuration - ext3 is compiled into the kernel).
3) mkinitrd works fine. I even tried to create a new initrd file instead of the one that 'make install' creates - just in case... It had the same problem.
4) I have gcc 4.1.1. I've had problems in the past with programs that require gcc 3.x and are compiled with gcc 4.x. Can this possibly be a cause of trouble with the kernel? Though this seems almost impossible, I have to point this out...
5) When booting, I received no further error messages beside the kernel panic. I saw in several places references to other error messages (such as "Replace root= line" or similar), but I received none.
6) This is the first time I'm compiling a kernel, so it is possible that I made some kind of mistake with the configuration... This is why I gave a link to it above.
If there is any more information you need in order to understand this problem, I'd be happy to submit.
Thank you very very much!