I have something the same and happily there are more!
I've got this system:
- VIA CUV4X motherboard
- PIII 800EB
- nVidia Geforce 2MX200
- tvtuner (hauppauge), networkcard, audio (soundblaster)
When I use GLX, my screen gets blurred and vertical stripes stripes appear. After a few seconds I get a hard lockup.
This is what I tried:
- I had a dual-boot with Windows, which could perfectly use my card, so it's not a hardware-issue.
- removing everything out of my pc except the videocard. Nothing.
- putting a big fan on my videocard.
- I switched to Debian-based Ubuntu today because I read there were alot of 3D-problems with FC3 (Fedora tends to be a distribution for the buisinessman who has Redhat at work, which doesn't play games). But no luck at all.
Sometimes I get some luck with glx for about 30 seconds and after that I get a lockup.
My next step would be upgrading to an AMD64 with a new videocard, but after reading your post I think I will switch to Apple