LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
zamboni
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
X Linux and Multimedia keyboard: Help


Greetings;

I'm trying to get full functionality out of a newly purchased IBM RapidAccess III USB Type keyboard(Says model SK-8809 on the bottom and does not have the USB hub). This appears as A Silitek IBM USB Keyboard at module showtime, but looks identical to the Rapid Access III keyboard minus the hub.

With the help of a little programme called hotkeys, I have mapped out the multimedia buttons and can control xmms and the sound system volume/mute controls just fine. It's about the 9 slim colour keys along the top edge of the keyboard, and getting all of them to work in X. The first and last generate X events and are programmed to launch applications. Cool I say. But the remaining 7 keys do not generate keycodes when pressed. This is strange since in text mode (not an X shell like xterm or gnome-terminal) every key pressed generates a code, even all 9 colour keys. The codes are different between X and text too, for a given key.

I was pleased enough when I rebuild my kernel for the HID module and the keyboard just worked, but I'd like even more to get the 7 extra keys working.

Any suggestions on where to start fiddling around?

My system is like this:

Linux 2.6.12.1
Slackware 10
Gnome 2.6(a little old but I still like it)
Standard Xorg server with a GEFORCE MX440 Video Card(Nvidia)


Thanks
 
Old 09-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
imitheos
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Greece
Posts: 374

Rep: Reputation: 55
Re: X Linux and Multimedia keyboard: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by zamboni
Greetings;

I'm trying to get full functionality out of a newly purchased IBM RapidAccess III USB Type keyboard(Says model SK-8809 on the bottom and does not have the USB hub). This appears as A Silitek IBM USB Keyboard at module showtime, but looks identical to the Rapid Access III keyboard minus the hub.

With the help of a little programme called hotkeys, I have mapped out the multimedia buttons and can control xmms and the sound system volume/mute controls just fine. It's about the 9 slim colour keys along the top edge of the keyboard, and getting all of them to work in X. The first and last generate X events and are programmed to launch applications. Cool I say. But the remaining 7 keys do not generate keycodes when pressed. This is strange since in text mode (not an X shell like xterm or gnome-terminal) every key pressed generates a code, even all 9 colour keys. The codes are different between X and text too, for a given key.

I was pleased enough when I rebuild my kernel for the HID module and the keyboard just worked, but I'd like even more to get the 7 extra keys working.

Any suggestions on where to start fiddling around?

My system is like this:

Linux 2.6.12.1
Slackware 10
Gnome 2.6(a little old but I still like it)
Standard Xorg server with a GEFORCE MX440 Video Card(Nvidia)


Thanks
You can run "xev" and see what are the keycodes that the keys use.
Also "xbindkeys" is a very good program and has an option that show you keycodes
with xbindkeys you can (as the program name says) bind any command to a key (or combination of keys)
e.g ctrl+k opens a xterm, multimedia key 2 starts mozilla etc.
 
Old 09-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
zamboni
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Talking Re: Re: X Linux and Multimedia keyboard: Help

Thanks for the reply. The problem is: When I am in X, 7 of the 9 keys are not assimilated(...sorry couldn't resist). xev does not show a thing for 7 of the extra keys, so I'm stumped as to how to wake up the keyboard. I figure it has to be something to do with how X and maybe gnome see the keyboard. No X event is generated for these seven keys.

How do I get these keys to generate a code? Nothing in the syslogs in the way of error messages: i.e no atkbd.c error messages.

And as I said in the first message the codes are different when I boot into text/console mode. This fact gives me a small clue. Small indeed.

Quote:
Originally posted by imitheos
You can run "xev" and see what are the keycodes that the keys use.
Also "xbindkeys" is a very good program and has an option that show you keycodes
with xbindkeys you can (as the program name says) bind any command to a key (or combination of keys)
e.g ctrl+k opens a xterm, multimedia key 2 starts mozilla etc.
 
Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Zinake
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: 0
I know this is a little late to the conversation, but I've been looking up how to get my multimedia keyboard working and many people have said the same thing. For some reason when the using USB vs. PS2 connection, some of the keys do not respond.

In some of the posts I've seen, just using a USB to PS2 adapter has solved the problem.
 
Old 03-27-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
imitheos
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Greece
Posts: 374

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Thanks for the reply. The problem is: When I am in X, 7 of the 9 keys are not assimilated(...sorry couldn't resist). xev does not show a thing for 7 of the extra keys, so I'm stumped as to how to wake up the keyboard. I figure it has to be something to do with how X and maybe gnome see the keyboard. No X event is generated for these seven keys.

How do I get these keys to generate a code? Nothing in the syslogs in the way of error messages: i.e no atkbd.c error messages.

And as I said in the first message the codes are different when I boot into text/console mode. This fact gives me a small clue. Small indeed.
Some keys have unknown scancodes for the AT driver and they don't get keycodes. The X server uses its own mapping but
when it starts it reads the kernel mapping and then it maps it to its own. Because the kernel doesn't "see" these
keycodes the keys don't work in X either.

Press a key and then run "dmesg". You will read a message like the following
Quote:
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xaa on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e02a <keycode>' to make it known.
Run setkeycodes to set a keycode to the specified scancode. The syntax is very simple and it is shown in the above
example. To see which keycodes are free to use run "dumpkeys"

Put these commands in a initscript so that when you reboot they will work and you are ok. You will have one
setkeycodes command for every uknown key.

After that the keys will be reported in xev and xbindkeys will see them

Another program that you can use instead of xbindkeys is keytouch (keytouch.sf.net). That is after you have done
the setkeycodes thing described above. Keytouch also have plugins for many commands so that you don't need to run them
like with xbindkeys.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No keyboard on FC3 or Ubuntu--MS Multimedia Keyboard (PS/2) TravisOSF Linux - Hardware 4 03-04-2008 05:21 PM
Did anybody get a 23-key HP multimedia Keyboard to work in Linux? njbrain Linux - Hardware 0 04-27-2004 08:13 AM
Multimedia keyboard on a linux box pe2338 Linux - General 3 08-13-2003 06:42 AM
linux driver for windows multimedia keyboard dwagnersix Linux - Hardware 1 07-06-2003 07:40 PM
Multimedia keyboard Goog Linux - Newbie 2 03-18-2003 05:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration