LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #1
muzu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Webcam Issues


Hi fella's (and ladies should there be any present),
I've been an on'n'off Linux user for a couple of years now, but recently due to events i wont bore you with now, I've obtained a copy of Fedora core 9(i've always used some form of fedora, i like it...must be a hat thing). I managed to get the system updated, i have everything i need except one small issue, My webcam.

As I've said i have used Linux before and i have had my webcam working before, i used the gspca bundle(?)(through lack of a better word). However this time I am having issues building the thing. The first time i tried it complained about me not having the kernel source. That issue was resolved with a quick
Yum -y update --noplugins
But now when i try and build i get the following errors.

Code:
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224 CC=cc modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686'
  CC [M]  /home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.o
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:54:27: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c: In function ‘spca5xx_ioctl’:
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2463: error: implicit declaration of function ‘video_usercopy’
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c: At top level:
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2609: error: unknown field ‘owner’ specified in initializer
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2609: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2611: error: unknown field ‘type’ specified in initializer
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c: In function ‘spca50x_create_sysfs’:
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2769: error: implicit declaration of function ‘video_device_create_file’
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2780: error: implicit declaration of function ‘video_device_remove_file’
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c: In function ‘spca5xx_probe’:
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:4301: error: incompatible types in assignment
make[2]: *** [/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686'
make: *** [default] Error 2
I have tried removing the folder an re-downloading to ensure i didn't miss any files while untaring. Any help would be grand.

Oh and by the way, in case it matters at all I am on duel boot with windows vista, and the webcam is a Labtec webcam, the old model that they don't support any more..(bastards).

Thanks in advance, all the best

Mr.Muzu
 
Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,125

Rep: Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzu View Post
Hi fella's (and ladies should there be any present),
I've been an on'n'off Linux user for a couple of years now, but recently due to events i wont bore you with now, I've obtained a copy of Fedora core 9(i've always used some form of fedora, i like it...must be a hat thing). I managed to get the system updated, i have everything i need except one small issue, My webcam.


Code:
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224 CC=cc modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686'
  CC [M]  /home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.o
/home/Muzu/Download/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:54:27: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
I have tried removing the folder an re-downloading to ensure i didn't miss any files while untaring. Any help would be grand.
As the error says, you're missing an include file. You need to install your kernel source, before you can compile a kernel module.
 
Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
muzu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks for the reply, but I already HAVE the kernel source, I used

yum -y install kernel-devel Kernel-headers

Yum did its thing and everything was installed happily, i had to set up a symbolic link to the right source path, for some reason fedora likes to keep the source somewhere different.

If i try installing gspca from yum, i get an error about dependencies, here i'll print it out.

Code:
[root@localhost etc]# yum install gspcav1
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package gspcav1.i386 0:1.00.20-4.fc9 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: gspcav1-kmdl-1.00.20-4.fc9 for package: gspcav1
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
gspcav1-1.00.20-4.fc9.i386 from atrpms has depsolving problems
  --> Missing Dependency: gspcav1-kmdl-1.00.20-4.fc9 is needed by package gspcav1-1.00.20-4.fc9.i386 (atrpms)
Error: Missing Dependency: gspcav1-kmdl-1.00.20-4.fc9 is needed by package gspcav1-1.00.20-4.fc9.i386 (atrpms)
P.S. i'll try and install kernel source again.
 
Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,125

Rep: Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzu View Post
thanks for the reply, but I already HAVE the kernel source, I used

yum -y install kernel-devel Kernel-headers

Yum did its thing and everything was installed happily, i had to set up a symbolic link to the right source path, for some reason fedora likes to keep the source somewhere different.

If i try installing gspca from yum, i get an error about dependencies, here i'll print it out.

Code:
[root@localhost etc]# yum install gspcav1
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package gspcav1.i386 0:1.00.20-4.fc9 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: gspcav1-kmdl-1.00.20-4.fc9 for package: gspcav1
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
gspcav1-1.00.20-4.fc9.i386 from atrpms has depsolving problems
  --> Missing Dependency: gspcav1-kmdl-1.00.20-4.fc9 is needed by package gspcav1-1.00.20-4.fc9.i386 (atrpms)
Error: Missing Dependency: gspcav1-kmdl-1.00.20-4.fc9 is needed by package gspcav1-1.00.20-4.fc9.i386 (atrpms)
P.S. i'll try and install kernel source again.

Your errors are telling you what you need....have you tried to install the gspcav1-kmdl file referenced, before you install gspacv1?? Or install both? If you've got the kernel source, you shouldn't get the errors about the semaphore.h, unless there's a problem with the symlink you made, or it's looking in the wrong place....
 
Old 12-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
muzu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I fail to understand it then. I created the symbolic link exactly as the fedora documentation told me to. The devel and headers installed without error, and if i try using yum OR an rpm to install gspcav1-kmdl it says it can't find a dependency and lists the original file i tried to install, which leads me in a continuous loop, i buggered about for three hours last night trying to install this stuff. Im rapidly running out of idea's. Currently im toying with the idea of just starting again, and making sure the installer actually installs the kernel source (though im sure i did that last time)...

Any other ideas before i have to start again?
 
Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,125

Rep: Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456Reputation: 2456
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzu View Post
I fail to understand it then. I created the symbolic link exactly as the fedora documentation told me to. The devel and headers installed without error, and if i try using yum OR an rpm to install gspcav1-kmdl it says it can't find a dependency and lists the original file i tried to install, which leads me in a continuous loop, i buggered about for three hours last night trying to install this stuff. Im rapidly running out of idea's. Currently im toying with the idea of just starting again, and making sure the installer actually installs the kernel source (though im sure i did that last time)...

Any other ideas before i have to start again?
Yes...read the man page for RPM. Specifically, there's a no-dependency check install option, which will let you get out of the 'loop'. Try:

rpm -i --nodeps <package name> for the first package. The second should then have dependencies satisfied, and won't need the nodeps option. Only use the nodeps option if you're SURE you're in a loop, otherwise, it'll just shove things out there, whether they work or not....
 
Old 12-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
farslayer
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,231
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 189Reputation: 189
Interesting the kernel module package does not exist for fc9 or fc10
http://atrpms.net/dist/f9/gspca/
http://atrpms.net/dist/f8/gspca/

You will need to fix your build issue and build from source.
Have you try downloading the source RPM and building from that ?

wget http://dl.atrpms.net/all/gspcav1-1.00.20-4.src.rpm
rpm --rebuild gspcav1-1.00.20-4.src.rpm
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logitech express Webcam issues, GlennsPref Mandriva 9 07-26-2008 06:50 PM
WebCam Issues with IM (Howto) MikeEller Linux - Hardware 0 10-26-2007 08:20 AM
ov51x-jpeg webcam issues Daniel_LNX Linux - Hardware 1 10-08-2007 08:35 AM
webcam issues eegerda Linux - Hardware 1 10-09-2005 01:00 PM
webcam issues fackamato Linux - Hardware 3 06-01-2005 10:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration