LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
DJOtaku
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: Fedora 20; Arch; Kubuntu; Debian
Posts: 710

Rep: Reputation: 31
USB 2.0 PCI Cards supported?


I wanted to add a USB 2.0 PCI card, probably like this one "Adaptec 6-Port USB 2.0 PCI Card" at Best Buy. As usual they only talk about the PC and Mac requirements so I don't know. I would probably more likely be swapping out an older 2 port from my computer into the Linux one and putting the 6 port into my PC. But I think it's the same company. The one going into Linux would be from circa summer 2002.

If anyone has stories good or bad about this, let me know.

Thank you,
 
Old 02-04-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
DJOtaku
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: Fedora 20; Arch; Kubuntu; Debian
Posts: 710

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 31
Oh yeah, I forgot some key facts.

I am using FC3 and latest 2.6 kernel available from FC repos.

Thanks.
 
Old 02-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
DyeKid
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Distribution: Slackware 10.2 (AMD64 Desktop, HP ZV5120US & IBM T20 Laptops) Suse 10.1 (IBM T23 Laptop)
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 15
I don't know about FC3, but I had a Belkin 5 port PCI USB 2.0 card installed and running with no problems on Slackware 10 ( Current ) with a 2.6.7 Kernel. I just had to recompile the modules for usb to get it working flawlessly.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=305328
I bought mine at CompUSA
 
Old 11-15-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
yujun
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by DyeKid
I don't know about FC3, but I had a Belkin 5 port PCI USB 2.0 card installed and running with no problems on Slackware 10 ( Current ) with a 2.6.7 Kernel. I just had to recompile the modules for usb to get it working flawlessly.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=305328
I bought mine at CompUSA
Hi DyeKid,
It's been a big round to seek the posts here and finally i found your post , lucky !

I've purchased the same adapter and tried to install it to mandrake linux 10(kernel 2.6.9). it works but the performance is slow.

you metioned that you've recompile the modules for the usb, could you tell me what kind of modules you appended to the system and recompiled and why you do this then? because you got the same performance issue as my box did?

by the way ,did you test your card's performace on data transfering ? USB 2.0 has 60MB/s theory speed but mine is Ultra lower.....

Thanks a lot,
 
Old 11-15-2005, 07:09 AM   #5
mr_demilord
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Posts: 244

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by yujun
Hi DyeKid,
It's been a big round to seek the posts here and finally i found your post , lucky !

I've purchased the same adapter and tried to install it to mandrake linux 10(kernel 2.6.9). it works but the performance is slow.

you metioned that you've recompile the modules for the usb, could you tell me what kind of modules you appended to the system and recompiled and why you do this then? because you got the same performance issue as my box did?

by the way ,did you test your card's performace on data transfering ? USB 2.0 has 60MB/s theory speed but mine is Ultra lower.....

Thanks a lot,
You probably don't have to recompile, Fedora core 3 probably supports it out of the box, I wont worry to much about it.

Slackware is a do it yourself distro Fedora Core 3 isnt.

Good Luck!
 
Old 11-15-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
imitheos
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Greece
Posts: 374

Rep: Reputation: 55
Re: USB 2.0 PCI Cards supported?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJOtaku
I wanted to add a USB 2.0 PCI card, probably like this one "Adaptec 6-Port USB 2.0 PCI Card" at Best Buy. As usual they only talk about the PC and Mac requirements so I don't know. I would probably more likely be swapping out an older 2 port from my computer into the Linux one and putting the 6 port into my PC. But I think it's the same company. The one going into Linux would be from circa summer 2002.

If anyone has stories good or bad about this, let me know.

Thank you,
Almost all USB controllers comply to a standard, so almost all of them work.
If it is a USB 1.1 controller complies either with UHCI or with OHCI. (both of them are supported)
All USB 2.0 controllers comply with EHCI which is supported as well.

With other words, almost any controller you will buy will work.

I browsed the Adaptec website and i could find only one 6-port PCI card.
It is the USB2connect 5100 (http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...UA-5100#suppOS)
The specification mentions
Quote:
Data Transfer Rate
USB 1.1 OHCI-1.5 Mbps, 12 Mbps
USB 2.0 EHCI-480 Mbps
So, it is supported.

Quote:
Originally posted by yujun

by the way ,did you test your card's performace on data transfering ? USB 2.0 has 60MB/s theory speed but mine is Ultra lower.....

Thanks a lot,
USB 2.0 has a maximum bandwidth of 480 Mbps (60 Mbytes/sec) but the USB protocol has a rather large overhead and
uses a Master/Slave architecture.
I don't want to get in detail, there are many sites that describe USB.
In a few words, if you get 25-35 MB/sec then it is ok.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alsaconf Error: "No supported PnP or PCI cards found..." Baix Linux - Newbie 6 06-22-2009 05:08 AM
Firewire pci cards/pcmcia cards bunyan Red Hat 0 03-03-2005 04:45 PM
any fully supported wireless pci cards that are very easy to install ?? kewlmadisonguy Linux - Wireless Networking 3 05-29-2004 03:46 PM
PCI USB 2.0 and Firewire cards tomdkat Linux - Hardware 4 11-11-2003 10:21 AM
Linux supported TV cards? HitmanIP7 Linux - Hardware 5 05-24-2003 04:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration