Linux - HardwareThis forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
OK i'll try to explain this clearly. I have a T-Mobile Dongle I recently got and it simply won't work. I tried ejecting it. I've entered the connection info in manually such as APN etc however its when i go to the terminal that it gets interesting. I know very little about the command line but i get the following
Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM0.
Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
ttyACM0<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2"
ttyACM1<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
ttyACM1A<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
we see it finds the modem then the key part of the next command...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ttyACM0<Info>: Device or resource busy
GNOME PPP: STDERR: Modem Port Scan<*1>: ACM0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ttyACM1<Info>: Device or resource busy
GNOME PPP: STDERR: Modem Port Scan<*1>: ACM1
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ttyACM1A<Info>: Device or resource busy
i hit right click and ejected the thing so whats it busy with? Lastly I enter
sudo lsof /dev/ttyAMC1
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/guest/.gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/andrew/.gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
This last i believe should have told me what why the device was busy but what I got is total gibberish to me. I've asked on several forums and have gotten no usable information. I would be grateful if a resolution to this could be found
how are you trying to connect? have you tried gnome network manager applet
you mean via gnone-ppp? yep. done that and via the little icon on my taskbar. Best bet is to resolve this conflict issue but i'm not sure where to sort that out. the command line throws up that strange error message I posted
via ppp? with your dongle plugged in, if you right click that applet (if this is in linux mint, left click), select edit conections and in the window that comes up there should b a mobilebroadband tab, select it and then press the add connection button and follow the steps.
the latter looks more accurate but the first was the default setting.
That looks fairly good. Change the wvdial.conf to /dev/ttyATC0, and in udev just leave ttyATC0. Save out the rules, in case you need them. I also don't like the 'new pppd' line, because that is probably telling it to start a new instance regardless, which you only need if you have several modems.
I am no expert on cli, but I have a nokia C5 mobile phone that has a built in modem that I am using all the time, I recently discovered that setting it (under connectivity options for usb) to 'pc suite' mode, which will in windows start whatever software is wrtten for it, In Ubuntu it now just connects as soon as i plug it in; username and password are stored in the phone. before this discovery, i had it set to 'connect pc to web' mode and needed to start xp in virtual box and get it to connect there first, then disconnect and Ubuntu would then use it. a work around you could say. But like I said before setting it to 'pc suite' mode eliminated all this agony and windows pain, there is even a little proggie called 'S60 remote' or something that enables me (while in 'bluetooth' mode) to do the same things as in its windos equivalent software from nokia where it allows you to synchronise, send and receive sms messages and what not. A little irrelevant may be, but the bottom line is that it works seem less now under kde and XFCE (i don't use Gnome so much)