Ok, the cpu temp is fine, as I re-"gooped" the heatsink.
I went to untar a file and it locked up both via ssh and locally each time. I think the first was on gunzip and the second what on untar. This is what happened the first few times I noticed the problem, and on reboot and forcing an integrity check it looked up a few times, which let me to believe it was not with tar or gzip. It also locked up while doing some other type of activity remotely, which had nothing to do with tar or gzip.
I am surprised no one has given any suggestions on this one. Hell, comments would be appreciated even.
I have done the following:
1. Done memtest (all tests), which showed no errors on mem.
2. Put in another hard drive and Trustix install. Locked on me.
3. Reformatted the hd and reinstalled OS, same thing.
4. Updated software, and same thing.
5. Re-siliconed the heatsink, and temp is fine.
6. Took out one older NIC and replaced with a new one. (Two PCI and one integrated that doesn't work with Trustix.)
I am going to call the vender who sold me the case, mobo, and mem tomorrow to see if they have any ideas. Hopefully that will yield something for me. Looks like hardware to me.
Could it be the CPU? Is there a place I might check for errors. I did check most of the logs already though, and didn't find anything I could identify, except for the following: /var/log/kernel/error
MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
This might be a hardware/software issue? I have no clue.
I will mess with the tar and gzip more tonight. It did untar and gunzip successfully on other occasions though. I will run it over and over again, and see what happens.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Really...