System hangs on boot - "Mounting root file system" fails with Via VT6410 enabled
I have just installed Ubuntu 6.06 on a desktop machine and it works fine, but i cannot use all my IDE disks.
I have one of my disks connected to Via VT6410 IDE/RAID chipset. The disk was recognized during installation, but now I cannot make it work. It's a pure data disk, with a huge partition with NTFS as file system. The NTFS support works, I can access other partitions with NTFS. I only want IDE support in the controller, no need for RAID. I can toggle the functionality of the controller in BIOS (IDE|RAID|Disabled)
When trying to boot into ubuntu the system hangs on "mounting root file system" and drops me to busybox, complaining about that hda3 does not exist (hda3 is where the root partition resides). If I disable VIA IDE RAID support in BIOS, everything works fine, but I want to use this controller as IDE (not RAID).
When I look in /dev there are normally (when VIA vt6410 is fully diabled disabled) the following disks:
But when I enable the chip (IDE functionality only) I find the following disks via busybox:
looks like the device names and/or mounting points become messed up.
My current fstab looks like:
I found this patch: robertk.com/source/
but it says:
Please could anyone help me and explain what I must do?
more thoughts ,,, help !
Nobody who has encountered this problem, or have at leats has a hint that might help me find a solution.
I have an Intel Pentium D with EM64T, therefore I have a 64-bit system, could that have something to do with it?
I have searched this forum for threads describing smiliar problems, and I found out that support for VIA VT6410 should be included in kernel 2.6.15-1, but, as I said, I have kernel 2.6.16
I might be wrong out, maybe it isn't the controller itself, but rather something in my configuration?
I am having this problem as well now. Ever find a solution to it?
Workaround for the problem
After much research i finally found a bug report, (can't remember the url ...)
Anyway, that bugreport described almost the problem I had, but there was no solution at that time, but the bug was reported
So, Well, I can't say I found a solution, I would rather call it a workaround:
From my first post It's not hard to work out that hda became hde and that hdb became hdf when VIA vt6410 IDE functionality was enabled
I therefore edited my fstab (/etc/fstab) and replaced all "hda" with "hde" and so on
I also did the same with menu.lst (/boot/grub/menu.lst)
That did the job, and the system works fine!
Hope it will work for you too!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.|