LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Hardware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/)
-   -   Some games not working in Ubuntu 11.04 with a GeForce 7300LE (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/some-games-not-working-in-ubuntu-11-04-with-a-geforce-7300le-891940/)

MetaMan 07-15-2011 04:38 PM

Some games not working in Ubuntu 11.04 with a GeForce 7300LE
 
When ever I install the propriety drivers from "Additional Drivers", two options show up: version 173, and version latest. Since 11.04, installing the latest messes up Unity, and the only way I can log in is with the "Ubuntu Classic (no effects)" session. Installing the version 173 driver does not cause these problems. I don't remember having this problem in 10.10...

My problem here is that some games just don't work. For example, Sauerbraten(Ubuntu Software Center) and Warzone 2100(USC) work fine, but Freedroid RPG(USC) and OpenClonk(http://www.openclonk.org/) don't. When I try launching either game, my monitor spits out the error message "Input Not Recognized" It's my monitor, not Ubuntu, giving me these messages. I tried launching the game on an old CRT monitor, and it just goes blank.

Any idea what is going wrong? (Recap: Running Ubuntu 11.04 with GeForce 7300LE)

Thanks! :D

marco18 07-16-2011 09:32 AM

Generally, this problem corresponds to a resolution set up by the video card that the monitor is not able to handle. Check in your xorg.conf file the available set of resolutions for a possible misconfiguration and, if it's the case, in the game's video configuration.

A temporary solution would be to use a lower resolution and start increasing it gradually.

MetaMan 07-16-2011 12:22 PM

?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marco18 (Post 4416510)
Generally, this problem corresponds to a resolution set up by the video card that the monitor is not able to handle. Check in your xorg.conf file the available set of resolutions for a possible misconfiguration and, if it's the case, in the game's video configuration.

A temporary solution would be to use a lower resolution and start increasing it gradually.

When I open up that file, this is all that's in it:
Code:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Default Device"
        Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
EndSection


marco18 07-17-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetaMan (Post 4416627)
When I open up that file, this is all that's in it:
Code:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Default Device"
        Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
EndSection


This is because Ubuntu 11.04 (and 10.10) uses a version of X Server that doesn't "need" a xorg.conf file, although if you want to modify some things, you can create one to specify some options.

Have you tried with other versions of the driver? Maybe from Nvidia's official website (binary file)?

MetaMan 07-17-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco18 (Post 4417487)
This is because Ubuntu 11.04 (and 10.10) uses a version of X Server that doesn't "need" a xorg.conf file, although if you want to modify some things, you can create one to specify some options.

Have you tried with other versions of the driver? Maybe from Nvidia's official website (binary file)?

Yes. As mentioned above, the latest one in the additional drivers list makes my machine hang at log in unless I log into classic with no effects. I've tried version 173 from the list and installed nvidia-current from the X Updates PPA.(After removing 173, of course!) I have had bad experiences with Official download from their site. I once tried setting it up with Fedora 15, and after installing it, Gnome shell would freeze up like Unity does installing the latest from the additional drivers list. (The nvidia-current from the PPA seems to work fine)

[UPDATE]:Never mind... nvidia-current from the PPA freezes Unity too. I've been using Unity 2D lately and hadn't noticed. Still have the "Input Not Recognized" problem though.

MetaMan 07-19-2011 10:15 PM

Drivers fault.
 
Another update: this seems to be a problem with the drivers... sometime after 173 there was something that got messed up. I'm pretty sure of this because I've switched to Arch and still have the same problem. Gnome 3 shell also freezes so I'm using fallback right now. Good old Gnome... Forgot how good it was after using Unity for so long. Seems like I just have to wait until Nvidia updates and fixes the problem. :/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.