Linux - HardwareThis forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am getting sick of this new PC mainly because sis741 doesn't work well in linux. SiS video is buggy and I can't get a low profile nVidia video card yet. I think I would help a poor friend selling this 3 months PC really cheap.
== what I do normally ==
* web programming, using my PC as a server
* watch video (with mplayer because of better rendering)
* fooling around in LQ, ubuntuforums and IRC
* Basically, I don't play any 3d games, although I like the xscreensaver
== problems I get ==
* made for IE home page (I am too lazy to boot into winXP)
* ubuntu's mplayer pre6 have problems with some videos
* I am tired about windows and start feeling bored with linux
* heat, I use a antec mATX case, the sempron 2200+ is at 60C and the board is at 50C. It's summer and I don't like it.
== what I want ==
* video and sound that work without problems
* basic 3D capacity
* I want it cheap
* a PC that is rather quiet
* good HDD capacity, 120G is ok for now
* portability is an option, not a must. If there is one notebook computer that work with ubuntu without any troubles, it should be ok
* I like power saving
= OK, what should I get? =
* an AMD64 PC?
(probably running in IA32 until IA64 is good enough)
* a mac mini with 512MB ram, 80G HDD?
(So I may dual boot tiger and ubuntu)
* a cheap notebook?
* any opinion would be welcomed