1. CPU – PII 300MHz
2. RAM – 384MB SD-RAM
3. HD - 80GB Seagate attached via a PCI SATA Controller Card to the IDE port in the card
4. Sound card – SB16 or AWE compatible connected via ISA Slot
The above said are my computer specs. I would like you guys to help me with a few things for my Linux installation please. Many thanks in advance.
1 Currently I am running WIN XP Pro and its works fine. I would like to dual boot Linux with my XP. Please advice me the best, the latest and the easiest distro to use with my ‘old computer specifications’. How much space will I need to run programming, business, servers and multimedia functionality and which distro offer all these functionalities?
My intention is to divide the 80GB into four or more partitions. E.g WinXP 25GB, Linux 15GB, other two or more partitions to hold data, which can be accessed and manipulated by both XP and Linux. Should I create all these partitions in Windows XP prior to installing Linux or leave the remaining 65GB after installing WinXP for Linux to play with. Please also advice what sort of file system to use to play with both XP & Linux to play with one system from the other and common data like mp3.
2. Using Linux I would also like to connect to my Windows network, can it be done using NetBEUI/NetBios? Please tell me how to do this.
3. Up to now I have tried various live CDS, (Mandriva 2006 One, Knoppix, DSL, PCLinux OS, Ubuntu) but I have never been able to listen to any music so far. Is this because the SoundCard is the ISA type? Please help me solve this problem.
a) In Mandriva 2006 One Live CD - when I type alsancof
in console - it says the command not found.
if I type urpmi alsaconf to install alsaconf
- it says the package is not found.
b) In SimplyMepis 6.0 Live CD - my Logitech serial mouse doesn't work eventhough the mouse's arrow key is on the desktop it doesn't move.
4. Since my HDD is connected via the Controller card (VIA - VT6421)will there be any problem installing Linux or dual boot?
a) where can I get the Linux driver for this card and how to install the driver while istalling Linux?
Please help me for my above questions.
Thank you very much in advance!!!