Linux - HardwareThis forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I spent much time trying to solve this problem myself and searching the Web for possible answers, to no avail.
I hope someone here can help me.
I installed Mandrake 10.2 (Mandriva 2005), kernel 2.6.11, on my Averatec 3150H laptop. Everything works fine but for the fact that I have no USB working at all (the same install on a different computer resulted in USB working fine). Here is the essential of what I have checked/done so far:
1) USB on the same machine works fine in both Window$ and Knoppix and worked fine on a previous Mandrake 9.2 install;
2) hotplug cries because /proc/bus/usb/devices is missing; indeed, I have /proc/bus/usb, but no /proc/bus/usb/devices; a manual mount ("mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb") will do nothing (not even an error message); also tried with "-t usbdevfs";
3) the output of "lspci -v | grep HCI" is the following:
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
4) I have usbcore, ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules loaded (also tried with ochi-hcd, just in case); the output of "lsmod | grep usb" is the following:
usbcore 106008 3 ehci-hcd,uhci-hcd
5) I can't find any abvious error message in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog that could be related to this problem; at boot time the system indicates that USB filesystem is mounted successfully (like I said I get no errors with a manual mount)
6) I have tried the following boot options: acpi=off, noapic
7) I have tried disabling alsa and sound services (I have read that sometimes those could conflict with USB)
8) I have tried reinstalling Mandrake 10.2 a second time from scratch.
So, at this stage I just don't know what else I can do. I consider myself as an advanced Linux user, but as a user only I don't know much about fine hardware configuration or conflict finding/troubleshooting.
Thanks for any help or suggestion anyone could bring.