network and sound card not detected after new kernel compiled on slackware 11
I recently installed slackware 11, and the network card worked fine, and the sound card... I omitted to test it, but I did get a message saying it has to be unmuted with alsaconf. Then, I thought the 188.8.131.52 kernel was a little old, and I installed the 184.108.40.206 one. Then, I find alsa is saying it can't find /dev/dsp and the network is not running.
What I've tried so far:
- netconfig - does everyting without any error, setting everything with dhcp (theoretically), and still, nothing.
- ifconfig - is set only to use lo, and "ifconfig eth0 up" says there is no eth0
- alsaconf - can't detect any sound cards
- doesn't work with oss or anything else because of the same /dev/dsp not found
- I thought maybe I haven't selected everything I should have when I compiled the kernel from gconfig... I tried recompiling it, making sure everyting that I seemed to need from network/dhcp and alsa/oss is selected.
I have no other ideas... It is possible I still haven't selected everything I needed when I compiled the kernel (there are over 1000 boxes to check there!). Is there some tutorial or something that says everything that should be checked, to make sure I didn't miss anythihg, because it was in an unlikely group or didn't seem necessary to me? I was unable to find something like this.
Thanks for reading. Any ideas/suggestions are welcomed.
EDIT: Weird it seems the cards are actually detected...
Here's the output of /sbin/lspci:
nic http://pigtail.net/LRP/swap.html says use via-rhine module
Thanks! I'm currently posting from my new Slackware :D
The problem was, as I suspected, the fact that I forgot to select some of the things I didn't know I needed... for example... via-rhine and emu10k1...
I'll give it a go with the nvidia driver too. Last time it didn't work so well...
EDIT: wow, I'm having a very lucky day today... it works too! :D Thank you very much! :)
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.|