LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
nec207
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 96

Rep: Reputation: 0
Arrow Need a good computer for Lunix


I have use windows for a long time and making the switch but need new computer , the one I have is old very old .I know acer ,gateway ,compaq are cheap low quality parts like cheap low quality power supplies , cheap fans , lack of ventilation ,low quality hard-drive.

Are computer brands okay or should one build there own computer? may be HP and Dell is little better but not much?

Plese see my other thread on what is good GUI for a newbie for Linux that is easy to use for a newbie.

Note 700 is max I will pay for computer .I will like some thing 400 to 600 rage.



I will be doing video editing ,Multimedia my main thing Multimedia .

oh and do not say get Mac with the cool programs like iMovies , iDVD ,iPhoto and final cut .I do not have that kind of money to get a 1,400+ computer.
 
Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
frankbell
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Mageia, Mint
Posts: 8,109

Rep: Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540Reputation: 1540
Frostbite Systems manufactures Linux PCs to order.

So does Zareason.

I have heard good things about both vendors. Both are very small outfits run by Linux enthusiasts.

I've had nothing but good luck with Dells; I'm aware that they had a rough patch with a defective component about a decade ago, but I think they're well past that now. I've had six over the years, wore out one (it was a laptop over six years old and the display went--at that age, it wasn't worth repairing), and the others are still in use.

Dell architecture tends to be predominately Intel, so the drivers are well-supported, except that they do favor Broadcom wireless. I got my laptop and netbook when Dell was offering factory-installed Ubuntu, so the wireless worked flawlessly.
 
Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
nec207
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
Frostbite Systems manufactures Linux PCs to order.

So does Zareason.

I have heard good things about both vendors. Both are very small outfits run by Linux enthusiasts.

I've had nothing but good luck with Dells; I'm aware that they had a rough patch with a defective component about a decade ago, but I think they're well past that now. I've had six over the years, wore out one (it was a laptop over six years old and the display went--at that age, it wasn't worth repairing), and the others are still in use.

Dell architecture tends to be predominately Intel, so the drivers are well-supported, except that they do favor Broadcom wireless. I got my laptop and netbook when Dell was offering factory-installed Ubuntu, so the wireless worked flawlessly.
Does dell still support Linux or are they are 100% windows now? I hear so much mix about dell and HP very good or bad .Not sure .

Some say computer brands are junk and build your own.
 
Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
RockDoctor
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota, US
Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 1,245

Rep: Reputation: 252Reputation: 252Reputation: 252
Let me see, I've had good luck running Linux on computers made by (in no particular order) Dell, Compaq, HP, Shuttle, Acer, Averatec, NEC, and one I pieced together from various components discarded by a friend's place of business. In other words, I don't think the brand matters very much. YMMV. You will want to ensure that your new system's video card and wireless card are supported under Linux before making your purchase.

Good luck!.
 
Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
FredGSanford
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Mageia Cauldron & Salix 14
Posts: 943
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 88
Quote:
Note 700 is max I will pay for computer .I will like some thing 400 to 600 rage.

I will be doing video editing ,Multimedia my main thing Multimedia .

oh and do not say get Mac with the cool programs like iMovies , iDVD ,iPhoto and final cut .I do not have that kind of money to get a 1,400+ computer.
You can find Mini Macs for around $600 new and even cheaper on Ebay, if that is an option.
 
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Telengard
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Distribution: Kubuntu 8.04
Posts: 579
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
Need a good computer for Lunix
I have played with LUnix on the C64 and C128, but I wasn't aware that it would run on any other computers.

jk
/me runs and hides
 
Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
the dsc
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 136
Blog Entries: 73

Rep: Reputation: 33
You may find some relevant info there:

Quote:
Our mission is to provide a forum for users of GNU/Linux to share their experiences with different hardware, to ease the transition of new users to GNU/Linux, as well as help users pick the right hardware for their GNU/Linux system.
Click here to browse our hardware database.

http://linuxhcl.com/


Anyway, before/besides buying a new computer, why not try some lightweight linux distribution on the old one? I haven't played a lot with it, but slitaz seems quite good. I've been able to run it "live" via usb stick on a somewhat old laptop that was running windows XP, and I barely could believe it was the same hardware I was using. I've tried to take a peek also at AntiX, but it didn't have comparable performance on that particular laptop.

If you have only windows, you can download a windows version of unetbootin and create bootable usb sticks for a variety of linux distributions. If you have linux already, you can try also the multiCD script so that you burn several small or not-so-small-but-not-a-full-DVD-yet linuxes on a single CD or DVD.

http://multicd.tuxfamily.org/

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/multibo...sb-from-linux/

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by the dsc; 04-25-2011 at 12:21 AM.
 
Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #8
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
@ nec207 - you've given a budget, but how about location?

Are you happy building your own, or do you want a prebuilt "white box", or do you want a corporate machine?

AMD or Intel, or dont really care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
Does dell still support Linux or are they are 100% windows now? I hear so much mix about dell and HP very good or bad .Not sure .

Some say computer brands are junk and build your own.
Dell, well...you can still get some systems from them running linux. What is avaible varies a lot by country, and its hard to find the systems. When you do find the systems, in a lot of cases they are unconfigurable, and may be using different parts to the 'standard' windows system that the linux system is 'based on'.

I wouldnt call hiding the linu systems, then when you do find them having (possibly) a different setup and parts, for the same cost as a windows system "supporting linux".

I'm in the build your own, or get a custom built setup camp.

Some corporate machines are nice, but you pay just as much if not more than you would from a similar system you built yourself. The cheaper systems tend to be pretty nasty (undersized power supplies, chepa parts in general) and they again can normally be beaten on price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
Frostbite Systems manufactures Linux PCs to order.

So does Zareason.

I have heard good things about both vendors. Both are very small outfits run by Linux enthusiasts.

I've had nothing but good luck with Dells; I'm aware that they had a rough patch with a defective component about a decade ago, but I think they're well past that now. I've had six over the years, wore out one (it was a laptop over six years old and the display went--at that age, it wasn't worth repairing), and the others are still in use.

Dell architecture tends to be predominately Intel, so the drivers are well-supported, except that they do favor Broadcom wireless. I got my laptop and netbook when Dell was offering factory-installed Ubuntu, so the wireless worked flawlessly.
Zareason (and Frostbite Systems as well from my look) dont actually build machines themselves, they buy prebuilt systems and then just 'market' them. If you can figure out the corporate system they are based on (and by 'based on' I mean 'had the sticker changed and then have a linux OS installed') you should pay a fair bit less than you do from the 'linux' hardware marketers.

Dell desktop/laptops systems are more than 'predominately Intel', I'm yet to see any AMD based computers out of dell. Years after intel stopped paying them to make only intel systems as well (and for that alone, I will never forgive intel, or dell). If I was sure that dell never made a cyrix system, I would go so far as to say that dell has always been 100% intel,but I cant be sure they never used cyrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGSanford View Post
You can find Mini Macs for around $600 new and even cheaper on Ebay, if that is an option.
Even a $600 mac mini is overpriced IMO.

Not worth having for the OPs uses anyway, unless they have got quad core i5 mac minis out when I havent been watching, all the mac minis are Core2Duos. For any video editing, a quad core would be a much better way to go, and even from a 'linux marketer' you can get more CPU power for less money than with apple.
 
Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
nec207
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
It is for home use and video editing and multimedia.The GUI I will like is windows 98 .I hate the windows 7 and windows vista GUI.

I'm scared of getting brand computer of it knowing for putting in some good parts and other cheap parts that stop working after 2 years.

That why some people debate if HP or Dell is close you going to get to build your self computer with having good parts.

The CPU may be i5 or AMD Athlon Triple core . And for RAM 4 GB.

I think any quad core CPU and more the 4 GB of RAM is over kill and may bring the price up alot with by budget now.

Just make sure a good video card I can get later and put it in.I think with this set up most home use video editing and multimedia will be good.

Last edited by nec207; 04-25-2011 at 04:17 AM.
 
Old 04-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #10
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
I'm scared of getting brand computer of it knowing for putting in some good parts and other cheap parts that stop working after 2 years.

That why some people debate if HP or Dell is close you going to get to build your self computer with having good parts.
That can happen with any system, its not just the corporate computers that can have problems with parts quality.

The dells and HPs I've seen in your price range are pretty nasty. Very cheap and nasty power supplies and motherboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
The CPU may be i5 or AMD Athlon Triple core . And for RAM 4 GB.

I think any quad core CPU and more the 4 GB of RAM is over kill and may bring the price up alot with by budget now.
The triple core AMDs are getting ahrd to find now. Depending on where you live, the prices make a triple core pretty much pointless now. From newegg US, a AMD Athlon II X3 is $80, the X4 (quad core) version of that CPU is $100, and a Phenom II (extra cache, good for video work) X6 (hexa core) is $170. The cheapest i3 dual core is $120, and the cheapest quad core i5 is $185 (cheapest dual-core i5 $180).

So you could get a AMD Athlon II X4 for less than dual core i3, and for the cost of a i5 (dual or quad) you can get an AMD X6.

4GB IMO is the best deal right now. I wouldnt go over 4GB with that budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
Just make sure a good video card I can get later and put it in.I think with this set up most home use video editing and multimedia will be good.
Video card wont make much, if any, difference for most video work. Sure, it helps, but you arent going to need an expensive 'gaming' card.
 
Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
gare
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: iowa, us
Distribution: Ubuntu, Red Hat
Posts: 16

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
It is for home use and video editing and multimedia.The GUI I will like is windows 98 .I hate the windows 7 and windows vista GUI.

I'm scared of getting brand computer of it knowing for putting in some good parts and other cheap parts that stop working after 2 years.

That why some people debate if HP or Dell is close you going to get to build your self computer with having good parts.

The CPU may be i5 or AMD Athlon Triple core . And for RAM 4 GB.

I think any quad core CPU and more the 4 GB of RAM is over kill and may bring the price up alot with by budget now.

Just make sure a good video card I can get later and put it in.I think with this set up most home use video editing and multimedia will be good.
Hello, I used to be a big Dell fan. Dell still features a few Ubuntu, RedHat, and I believe CentOs at http://dell.com/linux , but do not promote them much.

What I do now is keep an eye out at Newegg.com for recertified HP machines

For example
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0Home%20Office

shows a
Quote:
HP Pavilion p6674y (BT552AAR#ABA) Desktop PC Phenom II X4 820(2.8GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 4200 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 820 2.8GHz
Processor Main Features: 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333
1TB SATA 3GB/s 7200RPM
Optical Drive 1: SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology drive
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4200
Audio:Sound card - Integrated
for $439 .

I have purchased 2 similar machines for this similar price and love them , especially for the price!

Yes, this machine comes with Windows installed. Regarding your gui - if you are new to Linux, and want to get to work right away, you may want to take a look at Ubuntu 10.10 which still uses the Gnome desktop which provides a nice windows feel. Install Ubuntu dual boot and you are up and running in 1 hour, and have a Windows as a fail safe for applications that you have not found linux alternatives for yet. Or just wipe the windows off and get the entire 1TB for your Linux work.

Just some ideas that I hope are helpful.

(
I am newb to posting to LinuxQuestions.org, so hope I have not transgressed by posting url's or violated other netiquette, please let me know and will edit this post. )
 
Old 04-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #12
nec207
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
That can happen with any system, its not just the corporate computers that can have problems with parts quality.

The dells and HPs I've seen in your price range are pretty nasty. Very cheap and nasty power supplies and motherboards.
Is it it saying brand computer only last 2 or 3 years and building your own computer last 8 years or more.The brand computer overheat, cheap power supply and fan and no video card for any computer under 1,000
 
Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
nec207
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Video card wont make much, if any, difference for most video work. Sure, it helps, but you arent going to need an expensive 'gaming' card.
You can get video card that has GPU and 1 GB of VRAM so there is no shared with RAM
 
Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
Is it it saying brand computer only last 2 or 3 years and building your own computer last 8 years or more.The brand computer overheat, cheap power supply and fan and no video card for any computer under 1,000
In general, a good home built or custom built computer can outlast a corporate system of about the same cost.

But that is just 'can' outlast, not 'will'. Its more than posible to get or build a custom system that will have worse parts than a corporate system...I've got a corporate machine thats well over 8 years old (its probably more like 10 years old) that still runs just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
You can get video card that has GPU and 1 GB of VRAM so there is no shared with RAM
1GB is not that big these days, somecards are coming with up to 4GB of RAM.

Having a video card is IMO better than using onboard video, but you wont see any real difference between a decent video card and the expensive 'gaming' cards for video editing.

You can also get motherboards with video RAM built in (normally called 'sideport RAM') so you wont share the video RAM. I wouldnt get one of those, you can get a motherboard + video card for about the same cost as a motherboard with sideport RAM.
 
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
nec207
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
In general, a good home built or custom built computer can outlast a corporate system of about the same cost.

But that is just 'can' outlast, not 'will'. Its more than posible to get or build a custom system that will have worse parts than a corporate system...I've got a corporate machine thats well over 8 years old (its probably more like 10 years old) that still runs just fine.



1GB is not that big these days, somecards are coming with up to 4GB of RAM.

Having a video card is IMO better than using onboard video, but you wont see any real difference between a decent video card and the expensive 'gaming' cards for video editing.

You can also get motherboards with video RAM built in (normally called 'sideport RAM') so you wont share the video RAM. I wouldnt get one of those, you can get a motherboard + video card for about the same cost as a motherboard with sideport RAM.
So how much should one spend on a video card 100 or 150 ? You say no real difference between a decent video card and the expensive 'gaming' cards . A video card for multimedia and video editing would be better option where it will be a difference ?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is This Computer Good Enough? linuxbeatswindows Linux - Desktop 10 12-07-2009 01:52 PM
where is a good place for computer parts nephish Linux - Hardware 6 11-21-2005 08:56 AM
which linux is good for my old computer keiwu Linux - Newbie 6 02-13-2005 03:06 PM
What computer is good enough for a server? SonoranFun Linux - Networking 12 01-20-2005 12:51 AM
which Lunix is good for me bradman1978 Linux - Newbie 17 04-13-2002 12:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration