LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
divyashree
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: bbsr,orissa,India
Distribution: RHEL5 ,RHEL4,CENT OS5,FEDORA,UBUNTU
Posts: 1,356

Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
nagios h/w monitoring


How will I monitor the H/Ws connected to a system(like AMD processor 64bit 1.8GHZ,250GB Segate HDD,NVIDIA QUADRO GPU,MOtherboard CHIPSET Model, SONY DVD RW etc..)

Normally the memory returns as a total size as 4GB of RAM and can that be returned as 2x2 GB RAM. ??

The client may be a window or may be linux.
 
Old 09-11-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
sem007
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian Lenny, Ubuntu
Posts: 638

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by divyashree View Post
How will I monitor the H/Ws connected to a system(like AMD processor 64bit 1.8GHZ,250GB Segate HDD,NVIDIA QUADRO GPU,MOtherboard CHIPSET Model, SONY DVD RW etc..)

Normally the memory returns as a total size as 4GB of RAM and can that be returned as 2x2 GB RAM. ??

The client may be a window or may be linux.
As i know you can monitor hardware performance and service monitoring through Nagios. Hardware make and model monitoring is not possible.

BTW Why you require hardware make and model monitoring? Any specific reason?
 
Old 09-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
divyashree
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: bbsr,orissa,India
Distribution: RHEL5 ,RHEL4,CENT OS5,FEDORA,UBUNTU
Posts: 1,356

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sem007 View Post
As i know you can monitor hardware performance and service monitoring through Nagios. Hardware make and model monitoring is not possible.

BTW Why you require hardware make and model monitoring? Any specific reason?
I have to keep track of the h/w used by the systems in my company and wheather they are working fine or not , as any problem happens they are running to my admin department,

thats all the reason to know only the h/w connected and their performance ..

Is this possible or not ???
 
Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
sem007
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian Lenny, Ubuntu
Posts: 638

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by divyashree View Post
I have to keep track of the h/w used by the systems in my company and wheather they are working fine or not , as any problem happens they are running to my admin department,

thats all the reason to know only the h/w connected and their performance ..

Is this possible or not ???
If you want to keep track used hardware you can use inventory software(i.e OCSinventory).

Through Nagios you can monitor hardware performance like cpu, memory, disk space usage.

Regards,
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
divyashree
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: bbsr,orissa,India
Distribution: RHEL5 ,RHEL4,CENT OS5,FEDORA,UBUNTU
Posts: 1,356

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sem007 View Post
If you want to keep track used hardware you can use inventory software(i.e OCSinventory).

Through Nagios you can monitor hardware performance like cpu, memory, disk space usage.

Regards,
Yes thank you ,its agood inventory s/w but are there any alternatives ?
 
Old 09-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
ComputerErik
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Distribution: Debian, RHEL
Posts: 268

Rep: Reputation: 42
I suppose this can be done, but it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world. Nagios is designed to support generic checks which you define, in both Passive and Active format, you will need to take advantage of this and write your own checks.

Now as far as how to do it you will first need to find a way to check whatever hardware information you want on your hardware and OS. I don't know of any commands to check the physical RAM layout (for example), but have seen it as a point you can check with some OEM software. What you will need to do is look at you hardware manufacturer and see if they have any such native utility. Then see if there is any sort of API or command line interface to query. You can also use generic Linux command line tools such as reading the device files found in /proc. Then you just need to decide what the "normal" values for any physical hardware to be monitored, and what setup matching to alert if anything is off.
 
Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
divyashree
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: bbsr,orissa,India
Distribution: RHEL5 ,RHEL4,CENT OS5,FEDORA,UBUNTU
Posts: 1,356

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sem007 View Post
If you want to keep track used hardware you can use inventory software(i.e OCSinventory).

Through Nagios you can monitor hardware performance like cpu, memory, disk space usage.

Regards,
Hello bro,everything goes fine ,but http://localhot/ocsreports/install/index.php is not accessible due to

Code:
 File does not exist: /etc/httpd/y
Got from log file.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
sem007
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian Lenny, Ubuntu
Posts: 638

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by divyashree View Post
Hello bro,everything goes fine ,but http://localhot/ocsreports/install/index.php is not accessible due to

Code:
 File does not exist: /etc/httpd/y
Got from log file.
It is difficult to say what is the problem. As you not mention how to install and when you got this error?

read document and try to find out what is the problem.Still you have any query let us know with more details.

http://wiki.ocsinventory-ng.org/index.php/Main_Page

Regards,
 
Old 09-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
divyashree
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Location: bbsr,orissa,India
Distribution: RHEL5 ,RHEL4,CENT OS5,FEDORA,UBUNTU
Posts: 1,356

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
Thank you sem, for refering me the software. Now I got everything fine.
 
Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
sem007
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Distribution: RHEL, CentOS, Debian Lenny, Ubuntu
Posts: 638

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
You are wel-come

Glad you got solution.

Regards,
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Monitoring with Nagios and SNMP angel115 Linux - Software 7 01-17-2011 06:04 AM
Monitoring mysql with nagios el_tedward Linux - Software 2 04-08-2010 12:08 AM
network monitoring:unable to launch nagios network monitoring system oladapo1980 Linux - Newbie 0 07-21-2009 02:45 PM
SNMP monitoring with Nagios athreyavc Linux - Software 1 05-31-2008 06:47 PM
nagios distributed monitoring p0rt Linux - Software 0 09-03-2004 10:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration