You could use the "halmount" program as a normal user to try to mount the device.
I don't remember if SuSE 10.0 is much different. On SuSE 10.2, if the drive has an entry in /etc/fstab, then udev should honor it. You do want to write your /etc/fstab entry so that you can mount the drive even if you are assigned a different device the next time you plug it in.
You could use the UUID number in the /etc/fstab entry. To find that out, I would recommend using the "udevinfo" program. I will use an external drive on my machine to walk you though the process with a real example:
udevinfo -q env -n /dev/sdb2
Now add an entry in /etc/fstab using the UUID instead of the device:
UUID=3da4cc2e-80bd-4c03-94e8-fe25e4b64178 /media/lbigdisk ext3 acl,user_xattr,noauto,user 0 0
Note the "noauto" and "user" option. This fstab entry would allow you to enter "mount /media/lbigdisk" to mount the drive even without using UDEV. The "noauto" entry prevents the drive from being mounted with "mount -a" which happens when you boot. This would cause a problem if the device wasn't plugged in when you booted.
The "user" entry allows the user to mount the drive without needing to su to root. Now if I plugged the drive into a different port, and it was assigned /dev/sdc2 instead, there wouldn't be a problem.
HAL uses helper programs, including a KDE or Gnome service to bring up a requester if you plug in the drive when running in your Window Manager session, but I don't use gnome so I can't help with that part. (note: Other distro's use hotplug instead)
For memory cards and pendrives with fat32 filesystems, you might consider using using the "mlabel" program to label the device. I have an SD card that I labeled "Podcasts". When I plug it in, it automounts under /media/PODCASTS without having an entry in /etc/fstab. The mlabel program is supplied by the mtools program.
I needed to add this entry before the device was assigned a DOS device letter:
# added for sandisk
drive e: file="/dev/sdc1"
udevinfo -q env -n /dev/sdc1
Using "udevmonitor" as I plugged in the card, I found out which device it used (/dev/sdc1) and then used that in the mtools.conf entry. Then I was able to run mlabel to label my card.
When I had used kde to change the name of a different card, I had a typo and accidental return, and had given it a dumb name of "-" and I was stuck with it. But I found that that name wasn't the label anyway.